Choosing FF over Lusso | FerrariChat

Choosing FF over Lusso

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Kaspars Upmanis, Dec 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kaspars Upmanis

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Casper Smith
    Hi,

In search for my 4 seater.. in Europe both FF and GTC4Lusso are at the same price range, somewhere between 125-200k EUR (Lusso's on the higher end).

It feels like FF's have reached their bottom and are slightly climbing back up while Lusso's are on their way to reach the bottom.

So - why would I go for FF instead of GTC4Lusso taking they cost the same?

2. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Personal opinions that drove me to choose a FF over a Lusso

More aggressive and sharper looking front end

Better quality interior

Although check prices because you may be comparing a V8 Lusso to the V12 FF which is a very different proposition.

I went through all this and settled on a FF and haven't regretted a thing sine I bought it. Very special car

Good luck

Loxo likes this.
  3. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Agree with the above.

Personal choices, I prefer the look of the front of the FF and the rear of the GTC

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i too prefer look of FF. its also a bit edgier and sportier, in my opinion.

-K1-, Loxo, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Quality is not what I would have in mind when it comes to the FF interior though… it’s nice but …

I prefer the lussos back, prefer the FF front.
    Entertainment tech is subpar stock in FF, good in lusso.
    Both are nice as a second or 3rd Ferrari imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Nick Barron like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I’ve had an FF and still have my Lusso.

I much prefer the Lusso overall. I find the FF to be bubbly looking and not one of the better Pininfarina designs. I can’t say the Lusso is objectively one of the best Ferrari designs ever but I do think its an improvement and I think its handsome- if a bit quirky. I enjoy the fact that many people don’t know what it is. I don’t think the interior quality is any different between the two, if anything the Lusso is better. But many FF did get ordered with higher spec leathers which can be a factor in how it might appear. I thought my FF drove weird with the interaction of the front end to the rear end sometimes being at odds with each other. I did not enjoy it. In the end I thought it was not sporty enough to be really a proper V12 Ferrari sports car nor was it comfortable and refined enough to be a proper V12 Ferrari GT. It was one of a few times I was happy to move a Ferrari out of my garage. The dealer let me borrow a Lusso for a day and I was in love. They made the changes that made me happy. It is definitely shifted more to the GT side of the spectrum (and as a result the corresponding V12 sports car, the 812 was shifted more to the sports car side) and its just a great Ferrari GT. I don’t think I will ever sell mine. I love how usable it is, but if you drive it with any verve (which you really should do with a Ferrari) you know its a Ferrari. Its kind of funny, because what Enzo Ferrari said all those years ago: “I sell you an engine and throw in the car for free” is still true today. From that stand point, I’d say try both and decide for yourself. The engine in either of these is a real peach and I do think he would be very pleased to see they evolved the V12 to this point. Its tuned to be useful low in the range and can rev to the sky where you chase the power. As to values, its impossible to know, but I dont think either of these will be going down very much more from here because they just cannot make a car like this ever again. Just make sure to have warranty coverage. Its a complex vehicle with unique systems and they can be costly if something goes wrong.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I felt the same way. I felt the ff was too sporty to be a gt but not sporty enough to make me feel much different than an amg (I know blasphemy for some)…
    I only test drove a lusso but it felt much smoother than the ff and therefore more GT.
    2 great cars don’t get me wrong but I agree with your observations

8. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I think all comments above make sense. But I 100% am of the opinion the Lusso is a big upgrade in interior design and general ride quality over FF. Its the better car of the 2.

I own FF, love the design better and specifically the spec (Tailor made, very special). Its a weekend car, and I love driving it to places.

Would I use daily, I would definitely go Lusso, no question. For the weekend, I like the quirkiness of the FF...and the still lower price of FF over Lusso.

Sold my F12 last month though...because as said, 812 and Lusso make a better pair, F12 and FF are too close...

Il Co-Pilota, Loxo, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Had an FF which I loved. The sound and the feel as well as the interior which was evocative of the analog Ferraris. It was/ is ugly sexy. Brutish and fast- well let’s agree on powerful as opposed to fast. Purpose built.

Needed a newer version and could not find a 2016 then to buy so upgraded to a Lusso 12 (updated?). Well this one is a keeper. Faster and more nimble with modern working electronics and a more 2018 look. More room and more comfortable in the back and different interior quality- possibly better but clearly newer with a much different feel. Originally I thought too quiet but loud enough when pushed.

In 2018 I was pulled over in my FF for a expired registration (the current decal fell off the earlier one ) and the first words from the officer was “ what year is this car?”

When he was through, he lingered close by and I asked may I go ?

Yea, of course he said. I just want To hear the engine start -up close.

I got off with a warning.

No wrong answer just opinions. Which change with time.

Bundy, hagen111, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    FWIW: When I ordered my FF in 2015, I had the option to wait for the Lusso. Since I did know that the Lusso would be 4 tail lights instead of 2 and a few other design elements, I had a good thought about the Lusso. I seem to like the rear of the Lusso, however the rest is not to my likening. So in the end I choose to go FF and I have not regretted that at all. It will always come down to what one might prefer.

Anyway, I still have my MY2016 FF, and to this date about 19.000 km - still don't seem to find anything even close to replace it with. And trust me, I am a car guy so I look every single day - but so far no. Who knows I might end up with just selling the FF and quit with cars....

That said, I am never going to order yet another Ferrari again here in Sweden. It is just not possible with the current representation....

11. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I own my FF since october 2019 and my F12 since june 2021.
    I was expecting the FF to be the "poor" once the F12 here, but not, I still love its particularity and its way to share the Fcars feeling with family or friends.
    Regarding F12 vs FF in dispite they look close they are far from each other at driving.
    F12 seems 150hp more and much much more agile, very different experience imho.
    Regarding the Lusso I only drove one, more comfortable than the FF, less "harsh", I would say it is perfect for a GT as a second (or third, etc...) Fcar behind a V8 or V12 2 seats but if you must only have one the FF will give you more sensations, more fun.

12. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I sold the F12 and replaced it with a low miles 458 spider...as I think it may be the better / perfect pair with the FF. And very much like the fact they are both from same model range...so share interior etc. Both NA. See what 2022 will bring when 458 gets delivered in January. Very much looking forward to driving that Spider, open roof, throughout the alps...sunshine!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stoutman11, Loxo, Beezztie and 7 others like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! 458 still looks fresh today.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As others have said, it depends on personal preferences.

When I was looking 2 years ago, I preferred the exterior of the FF. I didn't care for the indentation on the hood of the Lusso, nor the shark gills on the quarter panels, nor the "fatter" rear. On the other hand, the Lusso interior was more appealing to me than the FF. In the end, the FF was a full $100,000 less than the Lusso, and I just couldn't justify the added expense.

The ideal for me is a FF exterior and a Lusso interior. :)

Caeruleus11, ANOpax, hagen111 and 3 others like this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    +1

ANOpax, hagen111, vraa and 1 other person like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #16 Il Co-Pilota, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    To say that the FF interior is ofca higher quality than a Lusso makes zero sense to me. I've owned both, dailied both, and know the difference intimately.

Let's just get some cold hard facts on the table. The interior leather was never changed. It was, and still is the EXACT same leather used as standard. I know Brian L was desperately trying to talk up his FF here a few years ago, but that was just his opinion, and let's just say it did not end well for him. Keep in mind that quite a few FF were done with the Semi-Aniline leather option, so sometimes people mistakenly compare that to a standard interior. There are also lots ofcLussos out there with that option, and again, it is the same material - nothing has changed.

Anyhoo, let's talk other differences. Squeaks, rattles, and overall quality of,assembly. In this regard the Lusso is miles ahead of the FF. The FF is not even close to be as well built on the inside as the Lusso. There are two things in my experience that really set these cars apart, and that's the lift in interior quality and the integration of the 4RM system.

Yes the FF feels more raw but for me that just compromises it as a GT. I think the Lusso is the more sorted and seamless car overall.

Aside from the interior rattles etc. the noise insulation is far superior in the Lusso. Not talking engine noise here. But wind noise, tyre noise etc. has been greatly improved too.

From the perspective of having a more sporty ride, I'd do the following. Take a Lusso, fit it with Novi springs and lower it 15 mm. That is a way of getting the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Just for the record: My 2016 FF has NO rattles or any kind of squeaks. It is from that point dead quite - however the engine is not quiet at all.....

Loxo and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Same with mine, a 2014 with 30K miles on it. I personally like to be regularly reminded that there is a V12 under there and the FF has the bark ;-)

Loxo and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    We should all expect the Lusso without a doubt to be a better quality interior, it's a newer generation of car so that should go without saying. But I would not say it's miles better and not even close, I've never had any rattles, squeaks, or issues with interior parts on my 2012 FF. Outside noise suppression and sound deadening also have nothing really to do with how well interior parts are manufactured and attached together to keep them from falling apart.

I've sat in the Lusso for a couple of rides, and while the leather material itself feels the same, I found the seats of my FF to be noticeably more comfortable than the Lusso. But the Lusso had standard seats and mine are Daytonas, not sure if that changes much.

I think until the majority of Lusso's start getting to be 10yrs old with 40k miles we won't really know if they are holding up any better than the FF.

ANOpax and Loxo like this.