Chris Harris drives the Ferrari 488 Pista | FerrariChat

Chris Harris drives the Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458-Italia, Jan 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    great video. thanks for posting
    I agree w ch that turbo engines will progress to point where they are just as much character as na only much more powerful. pista might just be 1st of them

Caeruleus11, stavura and 458-Italia like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    By then we will have moved onto other technologies.

Boomhauer, Caeruleus11 and xfrgtr like this.
  3. Too bad Ferrari didn’t let Harris set a lap time at Fiorano.

Jolker likes this.
  4. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Chris Harris drives The Ferrari 458 and he Loves it
    Check both Videos and make your own mind.

Caeruleus11 and iloveferrari like this.
  5. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I agree a lot with his thoughts about the widening gap between power and tire grip. Good thing there are some clever brains keep everything under control but when you turn them off you better know what you're doing. And yes, the interiors need an update.

Caeruleus11 and shawdut like this.
  6. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    « With over 700bhp being sent through the rear wheels and an obsession with fifth-gear drifts, there’s no doubt that the Pista is a hairy thing. But what makes the Pista a true award winner is how it manages its hairiness. Five years ago, the Pista’s stats would be a recipe for going home in an Armco sarong, yet Ferrari hasn’t just managed to make 700bhp usable – it’s made it fun. Some people are still salty about the move to smaller turbo engines, but this twin-turbo V8 is the most athletic blown motor we’ve ever tested: lagless, rampant and a haymaker of horsepower. But an impressive engine is nothing if it can’t be used effectively. Luckily, three alphabets’ worth of acronyms and a gazillion lines of code manage all that engine’s wallop while simultaneously juggling brake and diff applications to make you look and feel like a driving god.»

7. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    As always he is spot on IMHO.

Caeruleus11 and 09Scuderia like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Probably closer to 650hp to the wheels. 700 or so to the crank. Drivetrain loss. Still sick for a car off the shelf.

9. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Probably dont want someone setting a faster time than the LaF

Jolker likes this.
  10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Kinda agree on his thoughts on the interior as well. Lusso interior much nicer and I am sure LB (F142) will/should have a way more modern cabin

wv80 likes this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    He forgets the 911 TTS, but overall CH is spot on, sans lacking exhaust notes on 488’s.

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Counterpoint.......
    Harris is uncharacteristically flat in this review, lacking any emotion and his typical hoots and hollers of enthusiasm. Go back and watch his vids of the F12 and Speciale in comparison, for example. No giggles, no laughing out loud indicators of true fun being had. Instead, it's all pretty dry, flat, and contrived... Just like the exhaust note of the 488 and Pista. Just sayin.

13. Honestly, I sort of prefer a more sedated Chris Harris.

The constant hooting and hollering and cries of "mega!" gets a bit old and detracts from his thoughts on the car.

stavura, kandi and LVP488 like this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Ha ha! I completely agree, it definitely makes for a less cringe-worthy viewing experience...
    But my thought relates more to the actual reason behind his being more sedate...
    Is the reason for less emotion related to the car, or is he just having an off day?
    I do think it is, at least in part, related to the more sedate personality of the Pista...
    Especially compared to the Speciale/F12, which both produce a far more "insane" emotional experience when driven in anger....
    No matter how hard the 488 or Pista is pushed, they don't ever produce that same level of emotional insanity.

iloveferrari and xfrgtr like this.
  15. Actually, I think this is the new and improved Chris Harris.

Since joining Top Gear and leaving his own channel (Chris Harris Drives) and the /Drive Channel, most of his reviews have been rather toned down a bit.

For example, look at his video reviews for Top Gear for the M2 Competition, Huracan Performante and even the Ford GT. All are less "teenage giddy" and more "adult exuberant"

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Another great observation and the reason why Harris made his remarks about turbocharged engines and the Pista being a step beyond the Speciale. Wonders of Ferrari's masterclass engineering.

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Good point. Perhaps the producers of Top Gear have made this a directive for him...

18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Amazing review, can't wait to get it! WOW

Bundy and 458-Italia like this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    He said he just spent several days racing. Have a look, he's extra scruffy. His voice is strained. He even says at the beginning he's in a grumpy mood. And then he drives it and now he is happy. For me this is the test of any fun street car: can it take a bad day and make it good? Can it turn that frown upside down? (Yeah, I went there lol!)
    Pista! Pista! Pista!

-CD-, JagShergill, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think you’re trying to read something into it that isn’t there....

His walk away comment the last of the last atmo thing is over pretty well says it all....summed it up.

stavura, Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Another mediocre Harris review. Wait for Sutcliffe! Steve is both quicker than Harris and a better pen.

dustman and xfrgtr like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I personally love him, he is much better than all those terrible YouTubers like shmee, Vehicle virgins etc I’d rather watch him than them;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Overall, as of late, he has been more muted in his videos; regardless of the car. He has driven so many super cars and just off of a GT3 race car before this test drive; I am not surprised at all for the lack of emotions or being flat.

ktu and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    And what do youtubers have to do with professional hacks, mate? Look up Steve Sutcliffe, please. He is a journo that went round a circuit, in an F1 Honda, just 0.7s slower than a certain F1 champ and MBE, called Jenson Button. ;)