Chris Harris drives the Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Chris Harris drives the Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458-Italia, Jan 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Reliability aside, the 720S, while highly competent and lightning fast is for me too comfortable, and excessively compliant lacking in the thrill factor. For the reasons it appeals to Lamborrari, is exactly why I find it lacking. I do not agree with Chris Harris' assessment of the 720S especially after his testing of the Pista which I imagine would provide more compelling and engaging driving dynamics. I am keen to get a F8 due to my anticipation of it comporting more to my priorities and preferences

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That is my concern also with the 720 , 911TT and also the 488. Lacking thrill for what I value.
    I’m curious to see if F8 solves in any way.

Coincid likes this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Many here seem to admire Chris Harris' opinion but I find it curious that his reviews of the 458, 488, while highly positive, were summed up by him stating "they don't tug at his heart strings." He obtusely seemed to be impying the same feeling about the Pista. Yet he waxes lyrical over the 720S, which in my view, is more cerebral and clinical and less emotionally satisfying than either of those 3 Ferrrai models.

458-Italia likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hes a brit, what else did you expect?

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Objectivity and integrity would be nice.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Having purchased 458’s and 488, I found a lot to disagree with Chris’ fondness of the 488’s exhaust note vs the 458.
    Otherwise, I enjoy his child like passion for cars.

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nah, that's not it. He is just Harris. Never liked him. Sutcliffe is a much more reliable journo.

8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Could be British bias but I think different cars, styling, & driving experiences appeal to different folks. For example, mid-engined Ferraris outsell the front-engined V12 models, but my heart belongs to the latter on the street. But on track, my Radical SR3 RSX and other lightweight mid-engined sports racers & formula cars are the only vehicles that interest me.

It’s all so subjective and full of bias. That’s why journo opinions mean next to nothing to me, even though I really enjoy Chris Harris’s videos (and writing in Evo years ago).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Jethro Bovingdon and another one from evo are also great reviewers (and of course randy pobst).
    One thing that all of them agree is that a Porsche 911 gt3 rs is driving bliss, remember that.

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I like Jethro. Very balanced reviews loaded with info.

REALZEUS likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ever consider that the 720 might actually be an amazing car to drive?

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Catchpole pretty good too.

REALZEUS likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not denying that the 720S is an exceptional car. My contention with CH is that while he recognizes how objectively stellar the 3 Ferrari models are ,they lack that intangible emotional element that he finds so appealing with the 720S. My subjective conclusion is that his sentiments apply much more appropriately to the 720S. I personally, would reverse his findings.

Ash Patel likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Having driven these cars I have to agree with you on this one no question - Harris has it completely arse up tit!!! Maybe he was under some sort of pressure to pad up 720 due to previous negative remarks made against the brand. That's the only logical answer for it. If any of them were missing emotion it isn't hard to figure out which one is lacking after driving them.

Ash Patel and Coincid like this.