Chrome Rear Cavalino Emblem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chrome Rear Cavalino Emblem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anymac, Feb 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Nah...picture is backwards. Look at the Testarossa script.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

xplodee likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have no idea what leads to your conclusions. They defy logic.

I only point out the 512 was a face lift of the original and even people within the Ferrari factory organization knew it was a failure prior to release. The facelift was not impressing anyone.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I remember when the 512tr came out it was a collective shrug too. Seen as just a cosmetically updated 80s car. Big and unnecessary. Remember that time period- early 90s, small sports cars were in.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this I have seen of course, better than upside down, but it looks strange:(

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The problem Ferrari had was the customers came in and looked but said "Why? I have one like it already". Their research told them that was going to happen but it was too late, the car was almost ready. That is why in 93 the name changed from Testarossa to TR512. They were trying to put some space between the 2 cars.

6. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Yes this model name change is typical. My simple point was that there was nothing wrong or backsliding about the 512’s aesthetics including the chrome horse so I was confused as to why the reference to 512 success or lack thereof.

7. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I've never tried to do it without: 1. removing the shield with the ignition sticker on it (to get access to the two nuts at the middle of the rear grille), 2. removing the rear grille, and 3. replacing the cavallino on the (now removed) rear grille. Sort of a hassle, but it will also give you a chance to clean the rear taillight lenses. JMO.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    All done... I think I like it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MOSS and Shamile like this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Could someone take a picture of the flat style black cavalino badge with a ruler? I’d like to machine my own. Would be a fun project

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  12. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  13. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
  14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I personally know both of the previous owners of my TR. The first owner told me that his wife bought the chrome horsey for him as an anniversary present. Since it came with the car, and the car is white, it fits and not the end of the world. Its not like it cant be swapped out in minutes. So if I ever sell, it might be the memento I keep.

15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jeff-

I might take you up on that. Can you PM me with pics of the back side? Is this something a few people would want to buy? Its made from anodized aluminum I assume? How much do originals run for?

16. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Sure but the back looks just like the front with 2 small mounting posts as in Daniels pics above. Don't know if people would want to buy?

Personally, when I bought my car (Black) the PO had so many damn horses on it I was embarrassed! I stripped the fake fender shields and stuff in the interor, front grill badge etc. The one thing I did keep was the chrome rear grill Cavalino. I read a post from Rifledriver a few years ago that mentioned the number of Cavalino's that are on the car and his point was it doesn't need more! The nose badge, rear grill, centre caps etc. I think it gets a bit overdone with some cars and not sure why some owners want to add a bunch of references to the car?

Funny story, I had a great time poking fun at a guy this past summer who had a personalized license plate "FERRARI" on an F430 he recently purchased. Not that there are an abundance of Ferrari's where I live but there are a few, this guy was astonished that no one had ever bought this plate. I laughed and told him that "those who know, know"! ;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

A. The flat cavallinos have not been around in a very long time. There might be a market for those with 89 and earlier TRs who want them back to stock.

B. Back in 86 or so we had a 288 GTO client who had cavallinos all over the car, the engine bay, the interior.

How badly do you need people to know its a Ferrari? If they don't already know, a dozen prancing ponies isn't going to change anything.

18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Still better than the shoes and Teddy bear.

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Anymac likes this.
  20. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    DFW as well. Although we are in transition to SoCal!

21. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Maranello Classic Parts has the flat cavallino in stock (PN 61766400) It's a "MarParts" reproduction, haven't seen the quality.

xplodee likes this.