Chuck Queener | FerrariChat

Chuck Queener

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chuck Queener, Mar 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    I'm looking for a 412GT or a 456GTM six-speed.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    They are two fairly different cars !

It might help if you give a hint of your location - presumably an English speaking part of planet earth but these days you never know......

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Chuck,

Is this the Chuck Queener of Mo Trend, R&T, Cavallino and many other stops?

Jeff Kennedy

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Chuck,

Stick around the water is fine. I am certain you have lots of input and lots of stories that would be appreciated by all of us.

As an introduction for Chuck, anybody that has and enjoys "Ferrari, Stories from Those Who Lived the Legend" and "Ferrari, A Champion's View by Phil Hill" need to say a thanks as Chuck was part of the team on both of these fine books.

Jeff

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    And the answer to the question is NY/Connecticut. But Chuck said he will keep an open mind on location. If in SoCal I will look.

6. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hi Chuck,

Funny to see your name as just last week I was re-reading my reprint of Cavallino #1 and saw that you were the editor (or some other similar title). Can you tell me how things evolved during the early days of Cavallino. How long were you there? When did John Barnes take over?

Thanks,

Dan Reese

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Chuck,

Welcome! I've been a fan of yours for a long time. Having you here will be a real asset to the forum.

Jack.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mr. Queener is a World Class illustrator whose agency is located in New York NY, IIRC..

You don't get out much, do you? LOL! :D :D

Welcome!

Actually Bentley of Long Island had a cream puff of a car, but it's been some time ago...we'll start reviewing the current market, yes SIR!!!

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    but have we truly established this as THE Chuck Queener?. [appologies in advance if he is].

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'l compare his signature, to some prints I have.........

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, it is THE Chuck Queener. This is the Chuck that used to be Art Director of Motor Trend, Associate Art Director of Road & Track, a founding Editior of Cavallino, past president of the Ferrari Owner's Club, did all the old cover illustrations for the Ferrari Owner's Club publication and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I would hope for us all that Chuck will share some of his Ferrari stories: the test session with Phil Hill of Harley Cluxton's 312B3 and 312PB, choosing between driving a 250 GTO or a Comp Daytona to Monterey for the first Historic Races, spending a summer driving Bud Keeney's 250LM.

Jeff Kennedy

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A warm welcome Mr Queener. Any insights you can provide, would be greatly appreciated here!
    CH

13. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Hello, Chuck! Ed tells me we crossed paths without knowing it at Infineon. Good to see your name on a thread here.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I didn't scare him off: IF so, then my apology again.

15. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    the 456 GTM is such a classy car!

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Chuck, are you looking for specific cars or just nice examples...? I imagine your best bet would be the Ferrari Market Letter. Welcome to FerrariChat.

18. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Jeff,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Chuck

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not a 2+2, but there's a well optioned 550 at Barett in San Antonio, returned against a 599GTB.....it looks brand new to my eye....

20. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Chuck - you may not remember me but the last time we hooked up was at Hershey. I had come down with Carle and Anne Conway.

Also, we rode around the Watkins track in your black California.
    I recall the dashboard plaque that read: "All things in life are sweetened by risk"

Bob Z.

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Welcome, Chuck!

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Welcome. If you're the guy who wrote the R&T article on automobile photography way back when, thanks. I still refer back to it.

23. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Mr. Queener,

It is an honor to see you on this site, Sir.

I believe Honorary Status is due here!

Chuck

PS: Since we've got you and Ed Niles on the same tread,
    perhaps you two can trade stories while we watch & listen? :)

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Have you found your car yet?

Jack.

25. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Dear Dan,

I’ll try and answer your questions, not in any order. I was/am the founding editor of Cavallino and it all began sitting at Ed Niles’ knee back in the mid-1960s. Sometime in 1966 I joined the Ferrari Owners Club as an associate (non-owner) member. Niles was membership chairman and produced their newsletter. At that time it was just a postcard that announced the monthly meetings. I took over the art direction and added cover illustrations, eventually becoming its editor. Because of my contacts (I was working for Motor Trend) circulation grew from Southern California to an international readership.

In 1971, with Niles help (he paid), we bought a 275GTB that had been repossessed from rock star Stephen Stills and as far as the club was concerned, I could then be elected president. Seems no one wanted the job. I kept the car in Santa Monica and drove it to the MT office on Sunset Blvd. everyday. We did a story on the cars restoration in MT in, I think, 1972.

I was now working for Road & Track and as interest in the club newsletter grew I realized there might be an audience for a real magazine.

A mutual friend knew of my wanting to do Cavallino and put Barnes, then a small book publisher, and I together. I quit a great job at R&T and moved to Scarsdale, NY. We produced six issues before it went upside down. The reasons for the failure aren’t worth discussing here.

Since then I have maintained my involvement with Fazzaz producing Rosso Ferrari for Ferrari NA, off and on, during the past 10 years. Last years edition, No. 26, was the last, as we know it. Antonio Ghini of Ferrari SpA is now developing a magazine that will be published by Conde Nast’s UK division of GQ. Sabine Kehm, Shumi’s PR person, is also involved. Publication is planned for this fall of next spring.

Hope this answers some questions.

Regards,
    Chuck