Cigar Guys - Any Here? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Cigar Guys - Any Here?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by FerrariSlave, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    (raises glass)

Cheers Tyler! Well done my friend...well done...

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    BTW, Tyler, love the Boli GM in your avatar!

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have been harrassing him about snagging one from him for years! :)

4. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Good, cuz those Enchantments are hard to come by sometimes, and this means more for me :)

5. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    smoked a CAO tonight. Very good, rich flavor.

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    last night had a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve. Took 3 puffs and put it out. Total crap. Then had an RJ rothchilde en tubo. Took 3 puffs and put that out too. Horrible. Then had an HDM Excaliber. Finished half of it, but it was so big that I just didn't feel like finishing it.

Just finished a Ramon Allones Specially Select. It was damn good. I'm gonna enjoy the half the box I got.

Getting Monte No.1, Bolivar Royal Corona, Punch Grand Corona, and some more Partagas Lusitanias by the end of this week.

7. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Which one?

They just got bought buy a foreign company that makes machine made cigars. The son Tim is going to stay as president for 5 years. They say nothing will change but who knows. I would stock up on the ones you like in case things change for the bad.

8. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    big cigar guy here :) had pretty much everything under the sun :p

9. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    ever had a forbidden X?

i liked it the first time, but then I got a few later on down the line..let 'em site...and they weren't as good as i remembered them...

maybe they're only good when they're young.

10. AMDBMan

AMDBMan Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Hartford
    Full Name:
    Will
    Here's something I've been wondering, and hopefully someone on here will be able to fill me in before I get in any sort of trouble. In a couple months I'll be going on a cruise down in the Caribbean. If I purchase a box of Cuban cigars while we're docked at one of the islands and have it shipped to my home in the US from that island, is there any risk of it being identified? I'd hate to pay good money for a box of cigars only to have it get confiscated in transit. If anyone has any experience or knowledge about this sort of thing, I'd appreciate your words. Thanks.

11. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    do you have to ship them back? Why can't you bring them back with you?

Another idea could be to buy the same number of boxes of non-cubans and take the labels off the cubans and put them in the non-cuban boxes. That would mean that you need to buy the same sized cigars.

12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Yes, you do in fact risk confiscation. If your name is on the package don't be surprised if you get a letter from customs asking you if you were aware of anything being sent to you and if you would like to claim it. Clearly, claiming it is an admission of guilt.

But it is up to you if you want to risk it.

Embargo against Cuba forbids U.S. citezens from buying anything produced by Cuba post-embargo. Pre-embargo goods are fair game.

One could ask the tobacconist for an empty box of similiar sized cigars for a nominal price, foregoing having to purchase another full box of non-Cuban cigars.

I have heard that many people use this method. But keep in mind, it is illegal.

13. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    but more cigars is always better...

14. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #139 Cicada, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    tonight...

Size: Torpedo/Belicoso - 6x52

Strength: Medium Bodied

Impressions: It's a good smoke -- pre-light draw was perfect. I toasted it and took a whiff of the toasted foot -- smells like weed. :eek: Most of hte Joya De Nicaragua cigars do, actually. I finished lighting it and started tasting. Cuban seed wrapper, the cigar stars out fairly strong and complex. I couldn't quite nail the flavor, but it was sort of creamy and leathery, with lots of pepper as I remember. It was very strong for the first inch or so, and mellowed out greatly and was enjoyable after that. This cigar is a much easier smoke and a lot less peppery than the Joya Antano series.

Another good smoke on the cheap.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'd go with the Punch Rare Corojo for the same dough.

16. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    me too

17. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Not if they are dog rockets!!! :D
    ;)

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Bingo! Most La Casa Del Habanos store will de-band and rebox in a generic domincan box for a nominal fee. Once your precious cargo has been freed from its identity you're good to go. Frankly, I've never understood why people keep the bands on them anyway, other than bragging rights. Best of luck to you.

One small bit of advice. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT purchase cigars from ANYWHERE other than a La Casa Del Habano if you want to run better than 5% chance of getting the genuine thing.

And finally. Be advised that what you're wanting to do is illegal. I would never condone or encourage the purchase of embargo-restricted Cuban cigars for importation or consumption on U.S. territory. :)

19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Almost forgot. I'm getting ready to light up a Tatuaje Tainos right now.

For anyone who hasn't tried Tatuaje cigars, I urge you to do so. The blends and the construction are top-notch. Specifically the Cojuno torpedo is outstanding and I VASTLY prefer it to any post-2003 production Cuban torpedo of any brand.

20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Woah alot of recommendations to to remember!!

I usually just get Monte-cristos no3 and my fav so far has been Padron 40th anniversary.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I enjoy a cigar on special occasions or at parties :)

21. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    But I saw some REAL Cuban Davidoff Dom Perignons fpr only $10 at the hotel Tyler!!! :D

22. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    LOL! :)

In all seriousness there are some not so inexpensive fakes out there right now that are amazing. Each year they get better and better. There is a factory in Costa Rica that is turning out the best fakes I have ever seen. The cigars are rolled in CR and then shipped to Miami for packaging. I assume the labels and packaging are produced in the US(at first I thought it was CR, but a friend in printing told me most likely the US). I had a cigar maker(legitimate) show me a box of fake Lusitanias that were mind blowing. The box, the labels, the codes, everything was current and spot on. The cigar had a nice spicy blend, but was NOT a Part Lucy.

A couple years ago I saw a box of fake Cohiba LEs from the same factory and those were amazing then...the recent Lucys were better. A real shame to see great talent being wasted on producing counterfeits. :-(

It's an amazing time in the industry as there are so many boutique makers producing so much good product. Inspiring to see.

23. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    yup; i've had the conojus and especiales as well as the cabiguan line...they were all very good.

when you have a master roller who was one of the best at cohiba rolling your cigars....they oughtta be. :)

24. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    How do you guys buy your cigars? Do you buy singles or usally by the box.

25. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    I as just outside and it is 2 degree with the wind chill. I couldn't feel my face, hands, and my whole body (was wearing shorts), but the Ramon Allones Special Select I was smoking was soooo good. Well worth it.