Cigarette lighter question | FerrariChat

Cigarette lighter question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by syata, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Can some please post pictures of the inside of the cigarette lighter pod that is in the center console and the lighter itself.

I recently bought a 1988 Mondial 3.2. The cigarette lighter is not the normal size; it is skinnier than what modern cars have.

I purchased a replacement lighter that should fit the lighter but it does not fit it the pod. The lighter fits in the 12 volt socket in the glove box. Not sure if the metal ring in the pod needs to be removed.

When I pull on the pod the bottom gets red and hot so the pod in the center console seems to work.

Thank you.

2. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    You have the original cigar lighter in your Mondial, and that functions as you described. Pull it up, it gets hot, you stick your cigarettes in and smoke away. Does not work as an accessory socket. You'll need to retro fit an outlet in the space. You will have to pull the switch panel from the console to get to the backside to properly install it.

See this thread for folks that have been there:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/mondial-cigarette-lighter-auxiliary-power.344077/

3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Thank you. So was there a cover when not used?

4. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I don’t think so...

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I removed the rear cig lighter in the central console and replaced it with an aux power socket- that leaves you with the forward lighter. The complete aux power socket is on Amazon if you want to do this mod

TGIF and paulchua like this.
  6. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I wonder if someone already swapped out a modern lighter into the glove box, because the original socket in there is for the trouble light and is much smaller than a lighter. The cigarette lighter does not have a cover. My car does have a typical lighter socket under the dash to the right of the steering column, which was probably added later, but you may look there and see if someone did that to yours as well.

paulchua likes this.