Cirrus aircraft | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cirrus aircraft

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by EndymionMKII, May 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I personally like the Cessna Citation X. That thing is so friggen fast! you can cross six time zones at 10 in the morning, and be back home at 6 for dinner. Its amazing, but really really expensive. Its kind of out of reach for most people I would say. I love the newer King Air planes. They are big enough for some luggage or a few other passengers. But they have some speed to them. They look great too.

Any plane beats a 172 any day.

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    John:

Nice pic of a straight 58. I've got one of those, but the pre 84 version. However, we've done the motors and I regularly see 215 kts on the true airspeed, and its confirmed by the GPS.

Great planes.

Art

3. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Art, the company that I flew the king air 200 with also had a baron and on trip of less than 200 miles he could beat us !! those things are the ferrari 328 of twins ! :)

4. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
  5. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #30 PerryJ, May 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Is the Pilatus PC-12 all it's cracked up to be? I see a lot of favorable reviews on it, they usually compare it to a King Air or 58.

7. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Perry:

When we rebuiilt the motors, I had them install the Superior Cylinders (which reportedly give another 6% more power), with a 20 thousand overbore (made the motor a 540, instead of a 520), RAM cam, balanced engine, etc. All parts new, cases rebuilt, and 7 studded, etc. Plane in cruise climb shows about 1500/min through about 6k, and back to 1k to about 10k. Used to take me about 1h45min to Burbank, now about 1h30min. Fuel burn is also way up there, but so be it.

Perfect example of how to legally hot rod your plane. The King Air 200 is a great plane, but I just don't like large planes, the controls feel heavy, and they just aren't as much fun. I've taken this Baron to Europe (in 99) for the Isle of Man TT races that year.

Art

8. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I want to get a plane like that. Whats the cost going for one of those? are we talking into the millions?

9. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    which plane ?

10. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    the pc-12? the one thats just above this post.

11. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Wow this thread is hawt. I'll have to agree with Dino on the Citation X being fast and nice. Also can't go wrong with a King air but, thats my opinion.

12. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Pc-12's are rally nice airplanes the only advantage that it has over it competion (the king air) is that since it only has on engine it is a little cheaper to operate (less fule burn and half the engi mait) BUT most people who are buying/flying these airplanes and are paying for a muti-million dollar aircraft and flying them hard IFR condtions want the saftey of TWO engines.

13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I think if I were to become a Pilot I would want to be part of an organise ation like some big oil company or something and just fly the head people around. The hours might be crappy, but you would be flying a nice plane.

14. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    there are companies in your home town that you would nver imagine that have planes.

Sucks as a job, most (not all) corp. passengers treat you like you are there slave, I have seen them refuse to shake your hand upon broading the plane. Pretty crappy considering they put there lives in you hands.

15. el Carnicero

el Carnicero Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Had an Aztec and always lusted after a Baron... until I flew an Aerostar. :) Holy mole. Closest I ever got to left seat of a King Air was a sim at FSI. Any Beech = class act, IMHO.

Ditto on the Lake. Remember the movie "Hopscotch" (Walter Matthau, Ned Beatty)? Matthau had a gal fly him to Bermuda in a Lake.

16. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I fly out of a 2100' strip. The aerostar wouldn't be a good idea here, especially with wires on one end, and hill on the other. You might be able to get one in and out, but the first time anything was slightly wrong, expect to be wearing the plane, or worse.

My Baron is normally asperated, and I'll run just about as quick as an aero star, but obviously with turbos, they are quicker, but on the West Coast, it's pretty rare that you need that altitude and speed.

Art

17. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Now, flying an Airbus A380 would be awsome. 230 some million buys you one of those. Looks like im going to start rolling up pennies.

18. el Carnicero

el Carnicero Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Roger all that. The Aerostar was just plain fun to fly.

2100 ft? That's even tight for an Aztec (although I did it more than a few times). Accelerate-stop for the PA 23-250 loaded is something like 2550' (don't hold me to that, it's been awhile.).

19. fastliz

fastliz Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2005
    Palm Bch County, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wifey and I got a new (2005) Cessna 172 with a glass cockpit (G1000). Created a website for it: www.cirriusbusiness.com. Wife got her private license just a couple months ago. I haven't yet taken lessons... one of these days, I'll get around to it.

Photo of G1000 instruments:

[​IMG]

Mike