Cirrus Pilots :/ | FerrariChat

Cirrus Pilots :/

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Urgh, this was a great outcome, but...
    • Pulled the chute most dense area Dallas.
    • Although lucky where he settled, large trees and buildings within 100 yards most directions.
    • He had a fire situation ruptured fuel and smelled burning, so he pulled chute?
    I just don't understand the mindset of these new Cirrus type pilots to pull the chute and put everything in the luck of winds vs. using your own damn great pilot skills doing a controlled landing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/farmers-branch/2018/09/30/no-one-injured-small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-farmers-branch-street

Island Time likes this.
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Why do you assume he had great pilot skills?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If he has a license, then it is required to practice "engine out" situations. You don't actually turn the engine off like old school, but instructor surprises you at any time "engine out" pulling power and then you immediately react flying plane, picking a spot, checklist, communicate, etc. I must have done this 50+ times in training. I use to love it as instructor would let me get to about 200 AGL in fields before giving me power back. :D

sixcarbs likes this.
  4. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Its a good thing he didn’t make it south of 635 because after that it’s all neighborhoods and congested shopping centers (maybe not on a Sunday at 11:30 though). The area he landed in is all industrial but still congested with lots of warehouses.

This could’ve ended much worse

rob lay likes this.
  5. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
  6. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Just saw the pic of SR22 in the street. Scorched cowl on starboard side, blade tips not bent (no or minimal rotation at impact). Engine seized or he shutdown? Took off from Addison on way to Waco, hard to think nothing within gliding distance. But I dunno, will wait for the report.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Addison airport right there, but certainly lack of power climb out smart not to "180" it because as we're trained a "180" is actually more like a "270".

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What's the minimum altitude agl to deploy the chute?

9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I just looked it up. Minimum "demonstrated" deployment 420-920 feet AGL depending on wings level vs a spin. YMMV I suppose.

Looks like he was approx 2000' AGL from ATC track file. Without knowing the particulars, hard to say if he could have kept power in until able to execute the sporty 180 back to KADS or maybe continue on into Love Field.

what's SR22 glide ratio? 9:1 ? So at 2,000 AGL he coulda maybe gone 3 nautical miles.

I must admit, my initial thoughts would be to try and get landing assured at a runway then maybe kill the motor if it's spewing flames versus a letdown under canopy in a busy metroplex with the same fire threat still in close proximity.

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

You and me both Rob. The guy pulled it at 11 am on a Sunday morning when Inwood road was most likely deserted and would present a great landing area. Also had a railroad running parallel which could've been used too.

Dumb luck. But I guess that beats skill and daring every time...

Island Time and rob lay like this.
  11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Question:

Is the plane reusable after a CAPS deployment?

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Here's the vid of the CAPS landing in an office park in NY... security camera has the whole 'landing'....
    Looks jarring, but they jump out and walk away from the plane.
    From 2k feet alt.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Seats are designed for 16g. I can assure you the rest of the airframe is not. No telling how numerous or extensive damage is to the fiberglas laminates.

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    All pilots have practiced all kinds of stuff. They still crash these little singles all the time. I knew a lady who had a Seneca and killed herself and her husband and orphaned their kids because she got below Vmc after her left engine grenaded itself. She probably practiced Vmc demos many times with an instructor.

The point is, a lot of these private pilots panic when it happens in real life and there is nothing below you but trees and buildings. At least he pulled the chute, some of those cirrus pilots didn’t even manage to do that.

15. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I would argue that trying to deadstick a landing in the most dense area of Dallas with large trees and buildings in most directions could have had a much more deleterious effect on the folks on the ground than a controlled descent under canopy.

16. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    and by the way, even though I no longer own one I did deadstick land a Cirrus years ago when I lost an engine over south Georgia.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the problem with flying it down is you need however much horizontal space, 1500'? Yes, he may have been in one place VMC that I would have pulled chute.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    <golf clap> it is possible! :D just kidding, I know that must have been a very serious tough experience for you.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I was getting my PPL test ride I had 4 "forced landings" pulled on me, one in the middle of an eights on pylon maneuver at fairly low altitude. The inspector made me take it over a fence and almost land in a corn field before he applied power. Back then there was a lot of importance on forced landings and it was always on your mind and you were always looking at possible little airports.

rob lay likes this.
  20. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    Yes - forced landing is part of PPL check ride. But then you might never mess with it again for many years after. It is not a mandatory part of training...
    When I had a DA40, I occasionally practiced the impossible turn at a safe altitude. Chop power, wait a few seconds for reality, then go for it. I needed 700 ft to realistically get it done safely.
    Now I fly a turboprop and don't think about it quitting...:cool:

21. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No- plane is totaled after deployment.

22. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    nojinx...and same. Hey, I sold my DA40 13 years ago. It was a neat plane, tight squeeze in the T-hangar tho.

BFR never really seemed to reinforce the quick decision tree required on engine failures. Will be interesting NTSB report on this recent SR22 incident.

23. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I know of at least one Cirrus that is flying again after CAPS deployment.

24. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Maybe it’s just their jet - but that’s what they told me..

25. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I've heard that the plane is a total write off if the chute is pulled since the first Cirrus was introduced.