Civilian passenger ejected from fighter | FerrariChat

Civilian passenger ejected from fighter

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Island Time, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    At least the passenger is still alive. Hope he didn't accidentally touch the ejector handle.

2. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow, I bet that was something he’ll never forget. Glad it sounds like he’s going to be ok.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Good thing the pilot had him select the ejection sequencer to only eject the back seat. If he had selected both, they would have both come out and the aircraft would have been lost.

When I rode with F-4, F-15 and F-16 pilots in the back seat, I always gave them the choice of what I selected in the back. They all said if I was scared enough to eject, they wanted to go, too. A little difference between a Fighter Weapon School guy in the back and a 64 year old civilian, though.

4. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Sounds like it was an uplifting experience

crinoid likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lucky he wasn't in a F-104

Bisonte and Rifledriver like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Didn't B52's go out the bottom too?

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The navigator and bombardier went out the bottom, the pilot and copilot went out the top. I did the assy drawings of the blow off ejection hatches of the upper two positions. A 20mm cannon cartridge blew the torque shafts around to unlock the panel and raise the front edge to get it blown off by the air flow. Then the seat and the occupant came through.

G. Pepper and jcurry like this.
  8. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Curious Bob, were the four of them split in two and sent seperate ways so they wouldn't collide upon ejection?

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The crews were not elbow to elbow and as I remember it, the pilot and copilot went straight up and out of the opening. The navigator and bombardier went out of the bottom the same way. Again, if I remember, the seats in the lower deck tipped forward before they were ejected. If one studies the video of Bud Holland's debacle in Spokane you might be able to see the copilot eject before the airplane impacted. It appears that he came very close to hitting the vertical fin. Didn't matter, he went into the fireball anyway. There are current photos of B-52's from above and forward that shows the two ejection hatches but now they have skylights in them.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The later models have two more crew positions on the upper deck, ECM operator and the tail gunner (no longer isolated in the pressurized capsule in the tail). They eject upward, also. At one time on the early models their space was a fuel deck.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- With the latest updates coming on the H models, they will be back to 3 or 4 total, not sure which. Modernizing the nav system allowed fewer navs.

Incidentally, USAF stopped allowing visitors to sit in ejection seat aircraft at airshows quite a while ago after several accidents. Survival rate not too good when you are not strapped into the seat.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What about the Navy? I sat in an A-7 at the now-defunct NAS Cecil Field at an airshow in 1972 or so.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

No one made it out, that was only the co-pilot's hatch that ejected; he never made it out at all... here's a pic from Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash#/media/File:FairchildB52Crash.jpg

There are videos of the whole stupid thing, the hatch came off just a second before the fireball.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Not sure about the Navy and whether it was just the AF or DOD-wide.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, I revisited the video late last night and I stand corrected. I hadn't thought about this for quite a while and I remembered that it was the hatch, not the copilot.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Taz. I haven't kept informed about the latest mods to the B-52. I'm trying to keep up with the latest mods to my old airframe...93 coming up soon. "D" check....in progress.

375+ likes this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- It is hard to keep up with what the AF is doing to the B-52 because they have been changing their minds so much. They have now decided they will replace all eight turbofans with modern engines and keep the BUFFs until they are at least 100 years old. The B-21 will not replace them.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Navy doesn't even keep ships that long. Well, except for one.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Yup, Old Ironsides has been around a while.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    What an amazing airplane! And to think that I worked on the XB-52, YB-52, and the B-52A &B. I'm not too familiar with thrust ratings of the new fans but I'l bet that they could eliminate 6 of those 8 little engines and hang two big ones or maybe 4. A lot of expensive engineering involved, tho.

Tcar likes this.
  21. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Thanks Bob, very interesting and informative as always. I'm going to check out that video you mentioned

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Shoot, they could easily go from 8 to 4 engines and still be way more power than the existing planes....

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You would have to put roller skates on the bottom of the engine nacelles, though. Not enough ground clearance and that is one reason they abandoned that idea. Pretty easy with eight new ones, though.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Roller skates? Well, the B-47 had the outriggers mounted under the inboard nacelles but those engines were only about two feet in diameter.