355 - Clarion NZ503 Headunit & Clarion CC520 Backup Camera Install | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #1 F1ScuderiaTifosi, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Good evening y'all,

I hope everyone had or is having a good weekend. I just finished extracting all of the aftermarket stereo wiring mess the previous owner did or had done by a stereo shop. I'm not even going to post the photos of the before stereo wiring and Dynamat job on the door or how the culprit just sat the rear speaker box on the ledge behind the seats without securing it (I've permanently removed the box). The installer even mounted component tweeters that were too tall behind the vents resulting in the vents not seating properly. I swear, my toddler niece could've literally done a cleaner job. I really dislike crappy installs.

Anyhow, before I begin dismantling stuff in the rear I was hoping to get a pointer on where I should route the backup camera wire from the license plate lighting location, through the firewall and to the head-unit. I'd really like to avoid having to drill a hole so I figure I'd better request help with this before I have an "uh oh" moment. Thankfully, I got everything else figured out. I'll post photos as this project progresses so someone else could potentially utilize this post for future reference. Thank y'all in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

Sincerely,
    JB the '95 F355 Rookie

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Since I have access to them right now, I decided to do the gauge swap. I swapped the oil temperature gauge and clock since I'm a lot more concerned about the oil than the time. :D Not that it takes a lot of effort to look at the further location, but yeah, I prefer this arrangement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    F1ScuderiaTifosi likes this.
  4. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Well there you go, thanks. That diagram will be somewhat helpful.

5. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    no the engine does not need to come out, it an easy install, I had my local stereo shop fit mine, under my supervision:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/decided-to-give-my-f355-berlinetta-some-tlc.443507/page-10

the wires for the camera run under the right hand side engine cover - remember my car is right hand drive, yours is left, so maybe the otherside would work better for you - no holes were drilled, they used an obvious access point through the bulkhead, then under the carpet down the back, along the sills and up the footwell into the back of the dash.
    Remember to fit a heat insulation sleeve over the wires that you run through the engine bay - just to be safe.

Once fitted you will not see the wires.

cheers Mark

6. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    another point to remember - cut the wires near the reversing camera, where they can be accessed easily, fit a connector - so when you need to remove the rear bumper (for a service or whatever) you unclip the wires to the camera and you can walk the bumper way without dragging the ends off you expensive kit

Mmckee and F1ScuderiaTifosi like this.
  7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I think I have one of those new in a box I never used great ubit

8. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Thanks 275GTB! That's very useful information, especially the bit about adding a connector to the back-up camera for ease of removal during service intervals. I'll be working on this today after my much better half and I have our Anniversary brunch, LOL! I'll post some photos ASAP.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant

I installed mine, unlike Tim and love it. The backup cam al9ne was worth it plus now I have nav, phone and all the other perks, the only thing was I changed all the l8ghts since it was blue. It did not matchbery good with the green.

F1ScuderiaTifosi and SoCal1 like this.
  10. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Oh man!!! Now I want to do another modification... taz355, what F steering wheel is that? I likey!!! And was it plug and play or is there any notable augmentation involved? Maybe I should swap out my bulbs for LED's as well.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    360 with airbag plug and play modified by glen at exptic car gear
    Blue leds (thread inthe 355 diy thread)
    Stickey refinishing by StickyRX
    F1 paddle shift system by Ferrari ha ha

12. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  13. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Good to know, 275GTB! I'll definitely be looking into doing a few more modifications on my baby. Thanks a bunch!

14. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #14 F1ScuderiaTifosi, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    My Alpine speakers arrived earlier today. Unfortunately, my cell phone battery died so I wasn't able to take photos of the way I mounted the tweeters behind the door panels. I made brackets with stuff I had in my misc. parts bin so I could hard mount the tweeters. I then cut clearings on the plastic backings behind the door panel's carpet section so the tweeters could be heard clearly.

I chose these speakers because of the frequency response range. Human hearing range is 20Hz to 20KHz. These are rated 70Hz to 22KHz. Basically, these should produce better bass frequencies than most speakers in it's class and the highs and mids should sound crisp. I won't be running an amplifier. I'm not trying to enter into a audio sound-off competition but of course I want some fairly decent sound when I'm zoomin' around.

I should also mention the OEM metal shielding behind the door speaker woofers were cut out by someone sometime before I purchased my F. I don't exactly know how shallow it was or if these speakers would have fit if the shielding were still in place.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Interesting i dont think my speakers had oem metal shielding? Not possitive though

16. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
  17. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Now that I've completed the installation of the new door speakers, I began prepping for the backup camera wire-routing from the rear bumper to the stereo head-unit. I've already removed the rear leather trim components. These photos are from the passenger side.

There were three 8mm flange nuts securing the central leather trim piece. Those flange nuts are located in the engine bay. The flange nut located in the center area was a bit more difficult to reach because I don't have long arms and it's next to the fuel divider assembly so I had to use a ratcheting box wrench to remove that one. I utilized a long socket extension to reach the other two nuts. When I reinstall the center nut, I'm going to create a buffer between that nut and that hose.

Here's how it looks with the central trim piece removed.

I carefully removed the seat-belt roller cover using this panel remover tool. Image Unavailable, Please Login

As you can see, the rear portion is secured by a sliding bracket; for the life of me I don't remember it's technical name, LOL!

There are 2 Philips-head screws and a 10mm flange nut securing the window area side-cover...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 10mm flange nut (sorry, I didn't get a better photo) did not need to be completely removed, it just needed to be loosened a few turns. The bracket it's securing is U-shaped so it slides-off going upward. The rear section is secured by one of those sliding brackets as well. It took some gentle force to remove the cover from it's place. Once I removed it, I slid the seat-belt roller cover through the opening in the side-cover. It's the same process on the driver's side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    So I ended up drilling a hole for the back-up camera wire next to the passenger's side screw hole for the central trim piece. I ended up doing this because I felt it would be easier to access should an issue arise. I know an engine-out service can be completed without the removal of the rear bumper so I drilled a hole through the rear bumper behind the license plate area and routed the wire straight up and high along the edge of the engine bay to keep it away from the engine and exhaust heat. I zip-tied it in key sections to prevent any pinching when an engine-out service is performed. I wrapped the whole length of the wire with heat resistant wire loom but doubled it up in the area next to the muffler. IF the bumper needs to be removed, the zip-ties just need to be snipped off and the section of the back-up camera wire in the engine bay can simply be unplugged then reconnected at the firewall (next to the pneumatic lift).

To help protect the wire's insulation from being rubbed raw, I cut a slit down the center of a vacuum hose and slipped it over the wire where it contacts the holes and secured the wire with a plastic clip to prevent any movement.

I secured the back-up camera with a couple of layers of industrial strength double-sided tape.

I utilized a leather hole punch to enlarge the license plate's lower righthand mounting hole. The punch just happened to be about the same size as the back-up camera's lens.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    The back-up camera needs to be connected to a wire receiving an electrical signal when I shift her in to reverse so I tapped directly into the reverse switch on the shifter assembly.

20. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
  21. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
  22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You could mount that up inside the dashboard and it would work fine. It does not need to be exposed like that.

23. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    The location of the GPS antenna doesn't bother me. If it was a different shape, maybe.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I mounted mine under the steering wheel surround hidden where there lots of room.
    You did not get the integrated camera that fits in the licence plate light?

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant