Clarkson tests Ford GT--------------- | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Clarkson tests Ford GT---------------

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tonyh, Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    It was a production GT.

2. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    In the video it looks like it was understeering pretty heavily in some of the corners. I wonder how much the lap time would improve if they dialed that out.

-Chris C.

3. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I think you are exactly right. If you are driving the snot out of a car on the track, staying above 4000rpm at all times, going 160+mph, etc what do you expect, 20mpg?

My opinion is, Top Gear couldn't bear to let an American car escape without some kind of knock, Jeremy certainly loved the car on the track, and in the earlier test in America, he loved it on the road. He loved the handling, the acceleration, and the looks...basically everything they value in a car; but they had to bring up something...they wouldn't want to let an American car leave the Top Gear studios without some kind of major criticism, so they picked something almost irrelevant and spent 5 minutes blabbering about it.

I am quite sure that the Ford GT would return at least 10-12mpg in normal city driving, and some highway driving in the mix that would probably go up to 15 or 16, which is not really that horrible for a 550hp car.

4. AlexHancock

AlexHancock Rookie

Feb 14, 2003
    I think you need to be British to understand their comments...

Everyone's very jealous that JC managed to get a GT (by sucking up to Ford big time) and it's just the British way to try and take the piss out of his choice. This also makes him feel less guilty about being successful enough to buy the thing in the first place (again a British thing).

Top Gear should always be taken with a pinch of salt - absorb the bits you like and ignore the rest.

However, the parking problem is very real (spaces in the UK are much smaller than the States) and you could easily return to find you can't get into your car. I've had similar problems with TVRs and Maseratis and they don't have part of the roof on the door. Garages are also small here and I know several people who have to climb over the top of their Ferrari Spiders to get in and out.

Cheers

Alex

PS If anyone knows where I can get my own GT please send me an email!

5. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Nice to hear an explanation by a Brit...its hard to fully understand the tone from all the way across the pond ;).

"Top Gear should always be taken with a pinch of salt - absorb the bits you like and ignore the rest."

Yes...I've seen a good bit of Top Gear, and that was clear from pretty much the first episode I saw...and that statement especially applies to Mr. Jeremy Clarkson. :)

6. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I personally saw no indication of it being a ringer. All we got from this vid is 1) It has killer acceleration and a top speed of 212mph (more than i expected) and 2) It is capable of faster lap times than the CS (0.4 seconds on this specific test). If you're talking about the C&D test and its claimed/tested 2 second faster per lap, keep in mind that this is a different track with a different driver and so results may not be "exactly" the same. Maybe the C&D track had more straightaways. Too many variables really.

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    No, I'm talking specifically about the acceleration figures, which were way out of line with the other magazine road tests.

Gary

8. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    The impression that I am getting from some of the postings here is that the Clarkson test alone determines the value of the GT - that any other test or performance will be meaningless. Is it too much to believe that the Ford GT will ever outperform the SLR or Carrera GT whether on another track or on the street; or has the final chapter already been written?

9. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I probably missed it, but did they give actual acceleration figures? I didn't think i saw any.

10. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    What are the "the other magazine road tests"? To my knowledge there has only been three tests. Hardly a large enough sample size to truly be authoritative. And the car that went 212 in Nardo *certainly* had over 600hp. We won't really know what the Ford GT is making until it gets into the hands of owners.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    As of a week or so ago, none of the production cars had yet left the factory for QA issues. Are you sure this wasn't a pre production car?

BTW, the first car is scheduled to go to WA. Guess who's getting it? And no, its not Bill.

12. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    The road test in the July 13, 2004 issue of Autocar puts the quarter mile acceleration at 11.7s/123mph - not much off the Car and Driver test.

13. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    In the video they said it was a production car...I suppose it might not be though.

14. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    OK I give who is getting it?

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I don't have the C&D in front of me, but I remember the numbers being FAR better than R&T, Motor Trend, and others. I don't see Autocar all that often, can't comment on it. The C&D numbers were outside the range of reasonable variation, their car had to have much more or less weight (or both) than the cars the other mags tested. I know R&T had a 12.2 1/4 mi.

Gary

16. the stranger

the stranger Karting

Feb 18, 2004
    I thought Jay Leno said he bought the first one.... and at MSRP as well!

I received an e-mail from a California dealership owner saying the first production car won't be ready until at least October. And almost all the e-mails I've received from dealers regarding the GT say it's either been sold or will be auctioned. NOBODY is selling at MSRP, unless you're a fleet owner or friend of the owner.... or Jay Leno. I'm very skeptical about the dealer that supposedly offered one to Bobafett.

17. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    They also said the GT's engine was "lifted off the F-150 Lightning pickup truck". In reality, the GT's engine has almost nothing or very little in common with the Iron block, Sohc 5.4, with its roots blower. So i'd take some of the things they've said with a grain of salt.

How old is the R&T article? Is it one of the earliest run of tests? Before the cars powertrain was fully complete and certified? I'd think so because this below is the most recent string of tests:

C&D got a 11.6, Autocar got a 11.7, Motor Trend got an 11.7, and Popular Mechanics got an 11.6.

So i wouldn't put more faith on one early test when the car was still in its earlier stage of development/tuning:).