Classic Car magazine cover feature | FerrariChat

Classic Car magazine cover feature

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    456 v Aston Virage v Bentley Conti R

Good article. April issue just out. In the print and also tablet edition.

I won’t spoil the verdict but let’s say it’s a worthy winner!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    PS very optimistic on pricing

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I never seem to find CC in newsagents. I shall have to keep my eyes peeled for this one. My choice would probably be the Bentley.

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    +1 for the Bentley. A lovely old school motor.

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Pfft, a £25k 456 is probably a project car to begin with. At that price point one would be lucky if it even propels itself forward.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It looks like the digital edition no longer exists, so anyone interested has to order the print issue online for delivery. That's a shame, but indicative of the problems our (media) industry is having. Not enough tablet/phone subscribers to make the reformatting worthwhile.

Anyway, look away now if you don't want to know the result, the winner is..

the 456.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Those of us owners already knew that..... ;)

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Interesting insider's view.
    You'd think it's the print version that is in danger rather than the other way round. I generally find is much easier with an iPad than a shelf full of magazines.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I liked the iPad version of this particular magazine too. I could download it wherever I happened to be and spend a happy evening being distracted in my hotel bar. The problem is the economics don't stack up. The majority of traditional magazine media revenue is from advertisers who pay for display space in the print edition. They don't value space in an iPad edition in the same way (it's much easier to swipe past). And this advertisers tend to be moving away from print as well.
    Meanwhile to reformat print to iPad and package and sell has a cost, and sales revenue of downloads is minimal. There was great anticipation about six years ago that enough readers would download iPad editions to make them the saviour of our type of media. We invested a lot in iPad teams. But it turned out people did other things with their iPads and phones.
    And so, the strange situation where some decent magazines, like this one, have no business case for going online (nobody pays) or on app/tablet edition...and meanwhile Google and Facebook make billions from advertising run around content created by others.
    This belongs in a different forum altogether, but that's why this Classic Cars feature is much harder to get hold of than it should be..

10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Interesting. May be Google could start a youtube for magazines and make a licensing model work.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That could work...except Google only cares about AI, click revenue, and taking over the world right now. Everything else is a mere detail.