Classic Maseratis....in the movies!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Classic Maseratis....in the movies!!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Mar 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Walter,
    Look at the wheel base on the "108" car. Is it me or does it appear to longer than a 3500 and closer to a 5000 GT? What engine is in this car? Could there be a V8 in it and this was a possible alternative for the Vignale designed Mexico or a special body built on a Mexico chassis? If it is 1967, the 3500 was long since dead and the Mistral & Sebring chassis are way too short for this car.

I'd guess it is on a leftover 5000 chassis or more than likely a Mexico.

Joe

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #27 wbaeumer, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, but the sources for both are coming from the Factory archive. But - of course it could be possible that it was either #002 and #004! I believe the photo in your post shows thew car in this German short movie (see attached pic that shows the car from the rear in that movie!) - but there most likely in a different color!

Here are 2 other photos from the Turin Show 1958. It shows a 3500 GT displayed by TOURING. I assume it #101.010! Interesting is that the roofline of the car is almost identical to the car in this short movie but front- and rear-section clearly shows a much different design (btw., this car has been ended up in La Paz, Bolivia in the early 60ies!).

The story of the many prototyps of Maserati has not been told already.....

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #28 wbaeumer, Mar 16, 2008
    Joe, please keep in mind that the 500GT- and 3500GT-Chassis are -almost!- identical. Of course they "played" a little bit around with both to strenghen it for the V8-car but basicly it was the same. That it might be 1967 doesn`t mean that the car is not existing anymore! The car in the short movie clearly has the 6-cyl.-engine fitted (see here a pic from the film.)! I am absolutley convinced that it was basically a 3500 GT!

Ciao!
    Walter

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #29 wbaeumer, Mar 16, 2008
    Not correct! Peter Sellers offers nothing in this silly but funny movie as he plays the looser! Also it was NOT Jill Ireland - it was one of the hottest 60ies-babes: Britt Ecklund (then time wife of Mr. Sellars who alrwady hated her at that time and fired his script editor when he became aware that Britt got a role in that film!).

FEry mayne plays the owner of a luxury car dealership in Barcelona, Spain. His lover is Ecklund. She want to get the Spyder which has already been sold to a Spanish nobleman. After being blackmailed by this little "darling" she got the toy.

Funny is when Sellars is doing a "bull-fight" with the -parked!!- car!

This Mistral-Spyder was registered in Spain. I have the plate-no. and investigations are under way to find out the identity of this very nice looking car!

Ciao!
    Walter

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Walter,
    Agree that the 5000 GT chassis was a modification of the 3500 GT chassis. I have one source that lists the wheelbase for the 3500 as 102 inches vs 104 inches for the 5000 GT. I just went to checked a couple of other sources, they list the 3500 & 5000 as both being 104 inches. So if they are the same wheelbase that shoots that idea down.

Joe

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe, the visual appearence of a car on photos can confuse our guess of measurements. I go into that trap on and on....!

Ciao!
    Walter

7. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Right you are! A memory is a terrible thing to waste...

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    we went here before on the mistral spider...

did anyone here ever see the Peter Sellers movie - "the Bobo" - in it is an incredibly beautiful silver blue Maserati Mistral Spider and an equally beautiful Britt Ekland that seduced him with the car and her hot bod..

I FELL in love with the Mistral Spider in that move and have loved them ever since!

you can see a peek of it in this shot...

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/134...0061414&seq=13
    Last edited by Dino&CT : 01-13-2008 at 11:37 AM.

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Darling, please...see my post #29! I took the pics from the movie. Please ...read (!!) my post! Thaaaaank you!!

Ciao!
    Walter

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    back at ya 'darling'...that was my point, mine is a copy of my post from the thread months ago where I referenced 'the bobo' and the mistral spider - wtf? edgy spout.

11. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    The two pictures of the spanish Tipo 108 which Boudewijn posted were taken by a friend of mine in 1965 (AM108.002) and 1967 (AM108.008). According to the Maserati records, four Tipo 108 were made: AM108.002 sold in Spain, AM108.004 sold in Germany, AM108.008 sold and still located in Spain and AM108.010, sold and still located in Spain. I can personally talk of AM108.008 as I know this car very well, and I can confirm that "Tipo 108" is stamped on the body.

Antonio

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Antonio,
    thats very intersting news. I assume the car you know has the 6-cyl.-engine fitted? Also, can you relate some photos of #008 and #010 today?

Ciao!
    Walter

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Antonio,
    but the 2 shots your friend took of #008 were taken in the factory backyards?

Ciao!
    Walter

14. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    My friend took the photos of the 1965 and 1967 Barcelona Motor Show, not the factory ones. AM108.008 has been recently restored; the car had its nose changed time ago, now similar to a Sebring.

Antonio

15. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Maybe somebody will remember this one - a Donald Sutherland kind of B-grade jewelry heist film where he steals this chick's red Ghibli Spyder and she takes off after him in a Daytona. She ends up smashing the windshield on a crossing gate. It had a pretty good second chase scene with several cars including a 911 Carrera IIRC.

Now if I could only remember the name of it -

16. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Lady Ice?

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Lady Ice I am pretty sure it was...as I remember it, the car scenes were the only redeeming factor, though...

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep it was "Lady Ice"! Filmed on location in Miami. The Spyder was in "blue-pervinca"-color.

According to my information this Ghibli-Spyder was cut in half in the late70ies/early80ies but survived today on 2 (!!) continents....!

Ciao!
    Walter

19. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio

Yes, it is a 6-cylinder 3.7.

Antonio

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #45 wbaeumer, Mar 17, 2008
    A real funny movie: "Love is a Ball" from 1963 with Glen Ford, Charles Boyé and a very funny Telly Savallas! Filmed on location in Southern France and in particular in Monaco the movie shows many long sequences of the 3500 Spyder-Touring, one of 2 (or 3?) prototypes made by that coachbuilder. Glen Ford plays a retired F1-racing driver in Mnaco who faces financial troubles. He is hired by Boyé as a driver for a very rich American teenager. This girl, Milly, is mad about cars and wants to start with her pink racing overal (with "Mad Milly`s Racing Team" written on her back!!) and a Cooper F1-car in the GP of Monaco. Unaware that her employe is an ex-F1-driver she had lots of "struggle" with him but finally falls in love after he drives her -anti-clockwise!!- on the Monaco GP-course! Very funny movie with very nice cars like Mercedes 300SL Roadster and various Ferraris in the background!

The red Spyder-Touring is Chassis #101.124.
    The car was registered in France and was later sold to Temple Buell, the Maserati supporter and race-team owner (SCUDERIA TEMPLE BUELL, with 250F and 450S). Many years later the car -now painted in darkblue with white hood and converted to US-V8-engine an auto-gearbox showed up in Holland. I discovered the car there in the late 90ies, wrote a feature about it in the German Maserati-magazine ...and "God" from Italy brokered the car to current owner John Bookout from Dallas,TX. THe car was restored in Italy to its original color and interior.

Ciao!
    Walter

21. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  23. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #48 BillP00, Mar 22, 2008
    Although not a classic like those mentioned in the previous posts...it's still a Maserati in a movie. The Quattroporte Series III in the Godfather Part III.

Bill

24. picric

picric Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    Merritt Island, FL32952
    Here is an excellent site for more recent movies and the maseratis in them. The guy who set the site up even has links to scenes with the car in them if you click on the flick. Nice job!!!!

http://richard5.net/maserati/movie.php

25. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi,
    Any one have a shot of Lawrence Harvey in "Life at the Top"? I understand that he drove is own QP1 in that film. Regards Ian.