Classic Mercedes tune up | FerrariChat

Classic Mercedes tune up

Discussion in 'Other German' started by smg2, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Just a thread to document the hassles of basic maintenance and tune-up of late 80's mid 90's Mercedes. My DD is a W126, big boxy S class. Rebuilt the entire engine at 200k due to a failed head gasket and have since driven 15k. Time for plugs and other items.

Here's the PITA problem, spark plugs... seems easy enough right? HA! Apparently Bosch and everyone else decide that the US market for non-resistor plugs was no longer viable. Bosch no longer mfg's them. What's the big deal you may ask? well the plug wires already have a resistor core, adding R type plugs will cause all kinds of crappy problems. Took some digging and found that Denso still has some available and ordered a bunch from a local warehouse.

Mercedes w/Bosch designed the ignition system to run nickle core non-resistor plugs exclusivly, any other type of plug will not work correctly. Hard starting, stumble, misfire, etc..

One day I may have to just break down and strip out the CIS-Kjet E and drop in EFI and COP ignition.

Who'd thought that German car parts would go obsolete this quickly!

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    ****ing Germans. I had a 560 SEL that would start and run rough. My mechanic is from Argentina, which means he fixes things instead of replacing parts. He had a helluva time. Turns out the problem was a sensor on the crankshaft. Now, MB has never had a crankshaft fail, but the Germans decide, "Ve should put a sensor there just in case." When this sensor failed, it triggered another sensor that triggered another sensor that shut down the fuel injection. ****ing Germans.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Not sure.... if sarcasm.... or not?

Or your mechanic had a strange way of explaining what happened. A crankshaft sensor simply 'reads' the crankshaft position so that the ECU or computer knows when to fire the injectors and ignition, think of it as 'fancy points' :D without it, the engine will not run.

Now Mercedes did place them in some very odd places in the mid 2000's like right above the exhaust manifold... gets' cooked in that spot.

I get a kick out of the fuel line running thru a chilled A/C line in the engine bay to keep the fuel from vapor locking, another reason why the A/C is on all the time.