Classiche Certification- new rules | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Classiche Certification- new rules

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rosey, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think we should wait to know other infos about that and then judge.

ciao

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Since Maranello is so concerned that the certified cars remain original does that mean the factory is planning to start supplying parts for legacy cars?

3. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    To be fair to them, parts availability has always been pretty good considering the age and limited numbers of some of the cars involved. Whether that is solely down to the factory, or more down to the likes of Maranello Concessionaires and other interested enthusiasts, is another thing.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I was told that the factory sold the spare parts service (and royalties) of the old cars more or less 30 years ago. I'm not sure if that is true, but all the Original spare parts I purchased here in Italy came from Great Britain.

Maybe anyone here knows more about that.

ciao

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Lots of parts were manufactured by 'Marpart', which was MC. I think the factory released the drawings etc to them, but I don't know the details.

These days I think we are more 'Britain' than 'Great'.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Ciao Alberto,

I, too, heard something similar a number of years ago. In fact I have found that Maranello Classic parts seem to have the largest availability of older Ferrari parts. Perhaps it was my "luck" that they seemed to have what I needed? Hard to say, but I was certainly impressed by their available inventory.

Saluti da Salvatore

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #57 dflett, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    From what they have told me, Maranello Concessionaires bought all of the old spare part stock from Ferrari Spa a few years ago and they are also the single distribution channel for all newly manufactured parts from the factory for cars older than 355. These two scenarios formed the basis of 'Maranello Classic Parts'. Any original Ferrari part for 348 or older comes from them if it is old stock from the factory or new manufacturing.

8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I believe that is correct too.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #59 SAFE4NOW, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    So , it took me 2 days to check this claim out, and so far I have not found anything applicable in the United States.

I have found that the topic is being discussed but nothing that I have found is official. So I can say that this is not a real thing in the States at this time.

Something of interest to me UNOFFICIALLY is that it's being discussed that if a car has been regularly serviced at a Ferrari Dealership, that said car may qualify for a no-charge or reduced fee Classiche ! So it would seem that it may be a reverse money grab... that an owner would be getting something for free and not the other way around.

While I understand the initial thought process of some getting up in arms , I do not understand the hostility and willingness to condemn a program that hasn't officially hit the market yet. ( In the US at least ) I am open to digging deeper if it has hit the market down under, send me a PM even, I will help flesh out the details and facts.

There are a lot of eyes on these thread(s), I will try and update when something confirmed or official hits to try and help get the facts out there.

S

10. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    #60 francisn, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Posted this in a similar thread in the vintage section a couple of days ago but more relevant here. Interesting Classiche claim to be able to supply any part. It will of course be at a price! I would like some new rear light cluster surrounds for my GT4

"The whole thing bemuses me. I enquired casually about getting my 308GT4 Classiched here in UK. The man that knows told me that the fact I had installed modern radiator fans, rewired the lights direct from the battery using relays, the previous owner had fitted a modern Momo steering wheel (I still have the original) and that my car has Superformance 16" aluminium wheels rather than original Ferrari 14" magnesium ones was all OK. But it would fail without an original factory exhaust (a previous owner fitted a ceramic coated Stebro exhaust).

I didn't even enquire about the price, but if the US price of 3K dollars relates to what I would have to pay in UK then why would I bother. Cost of a new exhaust plus the Classiche charge is not going to increase the value of my car by the amount of the cost. No-one in UK would take any notice of Classiche for a GT4, and probably not for any other 308 either. Anyway, I like my exhaust!"

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It's not a problem that belongs to the owners that didn't have their cars Certified. Nodody is forced to have that Classiche certificate.

We even still don't have the details nor the cost of the annual check.

I think we should talk of this issue just when we will have all the details. My opinion still is that the red book is a very nice and pleassant thing to have, with or without the annual stamps on it

ciao .

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    And no one that has one should be forced to pay to maintain it - if that was not part of the original agreement.

There should be a grandfather clause in there somewhere

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Recurring Classiche validity stamps are really a stupid idea. A great idea would be a reasonable Classiche "pre-sale re-certification" that an owner or prospective buyer can get on a Classiche certified car at/about sale time. Problem solved. Everyone happy.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My QV was 100% certified by Ferrari SpA on Jan 30, 1984.

They even affixed a metal plate with a specific number to show that it received Ferraris blessing that it is 100% authentic

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    AND mine came without an expiration date and no annual renewal

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Touché.

My car used to be a 98 point concours winner, but I pushed in the bumpers a couple of weeks ago, so there is no hope of it being Classiche Certified. I heave a sad heavy sigh.

... NOT!

BTW, what is the correct pronunciation of "classiche"? I was at a technical session at one of the Bay Area's primo Ferrari restoration shops last weekend and the owner kept saying (IIRC) something to the effect of "classy-kay", which sort of surprised me.

17. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    That is correct. When speaking Italian, the letter "c" is always pronounced like the English hard "c" (like cat or car), never a soft "c".

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Then how do you pronounce "cinquecento"?

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +1

20. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's not correct. Before A, O, U vowels & consonants (including H), it's a K (or hard C if you like). Before an I or E, it sounds as a CH as in chair, so Cinquecento and Ciao sounds as we all know they should.

21. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    That may be so, but does the h before the e make a difference because Classiche is definitely pronounced with the hard c. I checked this a couple of years ago with some italians.

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Ciao chaps, I wonder which silly chunt came up with this idea? I think the 30 odd pieces of silver they may collect from those few who fall for this are worth far less than the goodwill of the community that they have lost.

23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Maybe they are trying to filter out us 3x8 riffraff to focus the Classykay program on the 1955 500 Mondials and such.

24. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think that's what he said: the ch is a hard c or k sound.

25. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    But there are almost none of those early cars left that aren't already well known. When a car is that valuable and its identity well documented, what real value is the classiche (and how good are their records really?) I think maybe this is aimed at the dealers who might get more for a car with a stamped book from buyers who can be convinced it is valuable.