Classiche Query | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Classiche Query

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Aug 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    ....and kill the goose that lays the golden egg ;)
    Maybe 5-10% of the vintage cars would be issued the "red book" 100/100 points

2. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Good question - and easy to do , but i guess their answer is that the certificate goes with the folder and the folder has all that detail including photo's etc

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is NOT the case!
    The "folder" ("red book") does NOT have all the details, that's exactly why I am saying it!

Marcel Massini

4. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    sorry Marcel - what I meant was that the file contains photo's of the car so by that I mean its clear what body type the certificate relates to. I'm going to duck out of this conversation now as I get the feeling that plenty of people DISLIKE the service that Ferrari is offering and want to "throw rocks" at the system.

I happen to be a satisfied customer, and would urge interested owners to consider it. I stick to my view - it (currently ) represents value for money (esp relative to other trinkets such as books and tools that one might chose to buy to help the car back to its "originality" )

5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I guess the "resentment" against the enterprise comes on three fronts.

Firstly the lack of depth of the information that you are paying for, one would hope to learn something new about thier car from the service, PF &, Scagletti numbers for example.

Secondly the presentation and styling of the "red book" itself.

Thirdly the implication that if you car doesn't have Classiche your car will be worth less, or that if it does it will be worth more. This idea is pushed by the dealers and auction house with the factory's blessing. I would imagine in many cases lazy buyers have substituted real research and inspection for the "comfort" of this product.

As an aside there is a 599 SA Aperta on a UK dealer website, doubtless a lovely car but does it really need "The all important red book". If they are covering cars that recent they might as well stick a binder in the glove box when they roll of the line in Maranello.

Also I would respectfully disagree with Simon above, to me books and tools are intrinsically interesting objects, some of genuine beauty, created in period rather than "trinkets". I dont have either for my car yet but feel that the quest will be of more interest and fun than the day I feel have to write a cheque to Ferrari for their service.

Anyway, whatever your views on this subject as a fellow enthusiasts I wish you all a happy new year !

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Simon

This is not about throwing rocks at the system or not. At least not for me. No need to duck out of this conversation.
    It is not about which body type relates to which chassis number. Individual chassis number suffixes and individual body numbers and assembly sequence numbers are VERY important numbers (at least for me as an owner and also as a historian) and both cannot be found in the red book.

Marcel Massini

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #82 GIOTTO, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #83 Marcel Massini, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Graham

Good analysis. Thanks.
    That red book certification is - apart from just being another profit centre - for the new and younger collectors and investors, those that are new to the Ferrari collector car world and perhaps lack knowledge and experience. That "factory certification" may give them "comfort" and "assurance" that the car is ok.
    The dealers are massively pushed to have as many cars certified as possible, the more the better. They are rated by the numbers of certifications done (besides many other factors, of course).
    Regarding the 599 SA Aperta on the UK dealer website and the red book:
    The biggest "joke" is that buyers of a brand new 2015 La Ferrari can have their (brand new!) LaFerrari factory certified (basically confirming that the car they just took delivery of was really made by the factory???) and they get a YELLOW certification book, not a red book. Apart from the color the yellow and the red book are exactly identical. I have personally had a series of both in my own hands.

$$$$$$$$$$ makes the world go round.

Happy New Year!
    Marcel Massini

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    In my opinion the Classiche process is all good and well but I feel that when it comes to older cars 70s and back it would be worth consulting someone like Marcel for details relating to that particular car, ownership records etc as arguably historians are much better placed to have details on individual cars than the factory.

10. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Now I have heard it all. Are these the same people who sell ice to the Eskimo's.

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'm guessing the badge with the screws are for a front grill, the adhesive version is for the rear bodywork.

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #87 Marcel Massini, Jan 2, 2016
    These days it's all about badging "re-badging"?):
    There are several Classiche Badges which "should be" affixed to a Ferrari. One is the red one and the other the yellow squarish one which is supposed to go into the engine compartment (firewall), stating the car was "restored" by the factory. Here are sample photos.
    Question is: How many badges does a car "need"?

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Over the years several classiche certification red books have become publicly available and sold on eBay!!
    (I am talking about the original factory certification folders including certificate and all pages and even the personal details of the applicant/owner at the time with his cell phone number and with his banking/wiring information and credit card details).
    I know of such a red book sold on eBay for a 250 Lusso and another one for a rare 512 BB LM.

Marcel Massini

14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #89 GIOTTO, Jan 2, 2016
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #90 Marcel Massini, Jan 2, 2016
  16. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #91 babci, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    "These days it's all about badging "re-badging"?):
    There are several Classiche Badges which "should be" affixed to a Ferrari. One is the red one and the other the yellow squarish one which is supposed to go into the engine compartment (firewall), stating the car was "restored" by the factory. Here are sample photos.
    Question is: How many badges does a car "need"?

Marcel Massini "

Once again thanks for all the interesting informative news and photos. I suppose this means it's only a matter of time before all manner of reliable high quality fake "Official "Red Books", "Vettura Restaurata" and "Classiche Certificata" badges, cuff links, sunglasses, sweatshirts, umbrellas. bumper stickers etc. show up on e-bay, Amazon or such vendor sites. This would be heaven for those who wish to belong to the holy believers group or desire to unscrupulously parade or pretend (read defraud the unsuspecting purchaser not willing to do the homework to check to see if the vehicle or presented items of "Authenticity"are"Genuine") their car, coachwork or personal being has been "anointed" Happy New Year to all :)

17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The last few photos prove the classiche certification is different to concorso points. How rough do those two cars look!!

18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #93 GIOTTO, Jan 2, 2016
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    i'm guessing that's a genuine Classiche badge on the 512BB??!!

20. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    Maybe. Sure is artfully patinated if not.

21. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Speaking of accuracy, shouldn't have Classiche actually identified this model of car as a BB 512i (instead of 512 BBi)?

22. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Speaking of accuracy, shouldn't Classiche have actually identified this model of car as a BB 512i ? (rather than 512 BBi)

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Great question! Love it. Thanks.
    Splitting hairs is always great (but doesn't work in Maranello......).
    They will always have the last word.

Marcel Massini

24. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  25. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004