Clear Bra | FerrariChat

Clear Bra

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by tesseract, Jun 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Anyone have a recommended installer for a clear bra? I'm in north Charlotte. Thanks.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Not really as I dont use it. But I am curious as to what you are putting it on...?

3. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    Had one put on my 911 from a shop in Morrisville. Guy did a great job. Bought a 430 and had the same guy do it. The 430 job was terrible. If it's a F-car I'd call FCI and see who they use.

4. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Call Steve Treece of Autoshield Carolinas 704 321 0505 they have done some good work for me on both Ferrari and Lamborghini, clear bra and window tint.

Russell

5. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just got done having this done to my 360 today & my 328 last month.

Here is contact info:
    Carl Church
    Star Shield Armor

(323)864-8051

Chances are he has a pattern for it, if not can be freehanded like they did on my 328

Chris

6. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    FCI uses Pro Tint a great crew who does great works they have done my Cayman S and my 911 C4S and I have seen many of the cars that have been done for FCI. It has never been anything but quality work from what I have seen PM me and I will get you the number.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    PM me, we have a guy out of Columbia SC, ask the 360 owner under the new Toy thread for his recomendation as he did his 328.

8. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Thanks to all for the information.

A guy backed into my car (Doc - 911 Twin Turbo) in my parking garage - huge black smudge from his bumper - maybe tire, but it appears to be just cosmetic, as the bumper has a fair amount of give. I got the car with full clear bra installed, so I just need the front bumper re-done. I am hoping it is a simple peel off - new install.

Stunningly, the guy left a note and business card. I met him the next day and he was very stand up about it - said he'd obviously pay for the repair work (before realizing it had the clear bra and was likely not going to cost much) and "do something" to compensate me for the inconvenience of getting it fixed. I told him that just leaving the note was compensation enough - a small restoration of the concept of decency in our society.

I'll try to post some before and after pictures when the work is done. If all turns out as I hope, this incident may be the poster child for clear bras.

9. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    ahhh, I would die if somebody backed into my TT! What a decent guy! I'll be curious to see the before and after pics.

10. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    +1

11. pahig

pahig Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    st. louis, mo
    Full Name:
    paul
    Have acquired an F430 w/ clear bra on it, was wondering what folks use to clean it (simple mild soap/water?), anything to avoid, whether you wax it just like the rest of the car, etc. Specifically, I noted an area that has a smudge/scratch that does not appear to have gone through the CB...My initial reaction was to think about "buffing it out", but I am guessing this would not be a good idea/only make it worse...Thanks in advance for any help.
    PAH

12. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    I had some serious bug smashes on the clear bra on my Porsche. I didn't wash the car for over a week, and the bugs got really hard. When I tried to scrub them off, I left white streaks on the bra where I bruised it. Now I wash the car immediately when I return from a trip, and I carefully try to get the bugs off with soap and water. Don't try to rub them out.
    Overall I like it. It really does protect from chips and it does not look too offensive. If you take it off when you sell the car it really looks pristine compared to the other ones around with the same mileage.

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    In my experience if you have a scratch on a clear bra you just have to live witrh it - you can apply wax but they are soft and will scratch if you scrub too hard - if it is scratched you just have to pull it off and have it reapplied

14. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Not like you want or need an update, but...

Met with Steve Treece and his trained eyes determined that the paint under the bra had actually cracked. He pointed me in the direction of a good indy body shop. Need a respray for the entire bumper, then back to Steve's shop for the new bra. Steve and Leslie are great. If you need a clear bra or tinting or other related items - go there - Autoshield - off N Sardis/Independence.

Agree with the comments on the easy scratching. Use a soft cloth, soap and water - and yes, get the bugs off immediately. Once scrathed, it looks as bad as a paint scratch.

15. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Another vote for Carl!

16. jmlaudio

jmlaudio Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 25, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
  17. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Foreign Cars Italia doesn't use Pro-Tint anymore since Kevin has left the company. Kevin is working for himself now so we have him come here and do everything. He is the Best Around! He has the machine to cut the patterns and he does a really great job.
    Kevin Cooper can be reached at 336-601-6319...

Hank