clicking noise? | FerrariChat

clicking noise?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Utah360Spider, Apr 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    So we just took the car out and immediately there was an odd clicking noise coming from the right rear wheel well. I drove it a couple days ago and everything was great no noise at all. Kind of sounds like something is stuck and the wheel/tire is hitting it. I can't see anything. Any ideas?

2. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

Two ideas:
    1) have you checked to see if you have picked up a nail or another foreign object in in the tread of your tire? Is the clicking uniformly repetitive?

2) is it possible that a bushing has gone or the tie-rod ball joint is damaged? Can you get in there enough to see? I bent a rod on my DD a few years ago and a repetitive clicking ensued.

3. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    It's definitely not uniform. Sounds like something is loose. I'm not sure what I'm looking for should I remove the wheel?

4. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Possibly a ball joint gone - if you driving on a very smooth road and there is no suspension travel, does the noise go away ?

Each hub on each wheel is held top and bottom by a ball joint. These joints are weak spots on a 360. The joint comprises of a steel bush which sits in the end of each wishbone (top and bottom). The bush is held in place by a special cement and then a circlip to stop it coming out if the cement fails. There is a little bit of movement for the bush if the cement fails before it hits the circlip.

Try driving the car slowly on a smooth road where there is no suspension travel, if the noise goes away it's probably that. Then drive somewhere that will make the suspension work a bit and if the noise comes back, I would say that is the problem.

The car will not be dangerous to drive with a failed joint but if you leave it, the bush will eventually move around so much that it will wear away the material of the wish bone and you will have to replace the whole unit. If the above test suggests failed joint, jack the car up and see if you can move the wheel by hand - try lifting it up and down and see if there is any movement (other than a small amount of suspension compression). You can also remove the wheel and CAREFULLY use a prybar to see if you can make the hub move independently of the wishbone.

Fix is simple enough, remove the offending bush and replace if damaged or, if it is still in good order, thoroughly clean with abrasive paper the outside of the bush and inside of the wishbone socket and re-glue.

If you need to replace, then source from here : Ball Joints - Hill Engineering

Upper and lower ball joints are different, you need two rubber boots per ball joint and the adhesive is also listed. These Hill items are stainless steel as opposed to original parts which are not, they don't corrode and last longer.

If you re-glue, make sure you leave the car sat stationary for at least 24 hours for the cement to set. Easy job for DIY, a garage should charge you no more than 1 hour labour per joint though.

Blu Mirabeau likes this.
  5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Either the axle which you can have rebuilt or hub bearing. I had the same noise .

6. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    So I just pulled it out drive around my neighborhood not over 10 mph. Noise is there the best way to describe is it sounds like there is a piece of plastic stuck just hitting something as the wheel spins. Bumps don't make the noise worse and there are no squeaks or creaks

7. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Doesn't sound like a ball joint then - more likely to be as DonJaun suggests

8. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does it increase with speed and does it occur only when turning or all the time?

I had a similar issue with mine coming from the rear right wheel which occurred only under turning loads and got faster with speed.

9. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    Just going straight. Turning doesn't seem to add to it at all.

10. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok well you're safe from my issue then which will be a relief to you and your wallet as mine was an issue with the differential.

11. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    So I have the car up on a jack and there is definitely movement on the wheel and brake assembly not a lot, but I checked the other side and its solid. If I push in and pull out on the side of the wheel it is moving. What does that mean?

12. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    Neighbor who is a mechanic came over while the wheel was off and said no question its the wheel bearing. I'm going to tow it to a Ferrari mechanic this weekend. Thanks for all the feedback.

If one has gone is it normal for the others to follow soon after?