Clicking sound in gated shifters | FerrariChat

Clicking sound in gated shifters

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by root, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Here's a question that has been on my mind while looking for a manual shift Ferrari to buy. What is the source of the metallic click-click sound heard when shifting gears in a gated shifter? I noticed that not all gated shifters produce the same sounds. Some do it only going from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th but not when going straight down. Others make it between all shifts up and down. Are there any adjustable or wearing parts that contribute to making the sound or is it just the way each shifter is made?

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's often based on the individual i.e. their seating position and shifting style.

Of course, the "click" (or clack) is the sound of the shifter shaft making contact with shift gate. So positioning can effect the contact points.

3. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    It is by far the coolest sound in the world. No other car does it.

peterp likes this.
  4. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    As the cables stretch they need adjustment to keep gear engagement centered, this also controls the shifter shaft's position in the gates front to back and may alter weather or not the shaft bottoms out in the gate. Any time the shaft contacts the gate the noise can be heard.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If your car has cables ;)

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Someone might correct me but l
    believe the 348 is the only car to have cables?

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Absolutely true. Most friends or persons that have been seated in the passenger seat of one of my two 328s are always very disappointed not to hear it when I'm driving. Having the cars for almost 10 years, I usually - and unwillingly - adjust my mouvements to shift without clicking anything. For time to time, it might, usually with the dogleg from third to fourth, or from fourth to third; but it is a rare occurrence.

Rgds

8. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The 360 and 430 utilize cables.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And the Mondial t as well. Which is sort of the 2+2, GT version of the 348.

10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    It's just the nature of the Beast metal rod going through the gate you're going to get lots of noise. Personally I love it. I do put a small amount of clear silicone grease on the gate so it doesn't squeak and it cuts down a little bit of the metal to metal noise.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I use yellow bosch grease on the gate and the shifter rod where it contacts the gate. It eliminates the clicking/sqeaking noise and reduces the shift effort. You can use a Q-tip to apply the grease and then clean off any excess with a rag so you don't get greasy when shifting the car.