Clock repair | FerrariChat

Clock repair

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Jun 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Sent my clock to MOMA in Albuquerque, for repair, the latest news is that they cannot make the second hand work with their transformation to a quartz movement. Thus the hand will be there but stationary. Not great. Any thoughts, alternatives? Thank you.
    Regards, Alberto

synchro likes this.
  2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I used D&M restorations in Greenville, South Carolina to fix two Dino clocks for me. I was quite happy with their work. I think around $120 each 7-8 years ago. http://www.dandmrestoration.com/

3. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
  4. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Keep your eye on e-bay.....I bought a second hand clock which was from an alfa but was a veglia borletti with all the physical features of the dino clock, only the face was different.
    So hey presto i took it apart (the chrome bezel is the hardest part to refit!!!) and changed the face for mine and for £40 i have a working clock.
    G P

5. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Palo Alto Speedometer fixed mine several years ago, and no issues since.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you guys, sent it D&M and they have repaired it. Three days! Regards, Alberto

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    My clock is working intermittently.

I want to pull it out to take it to the place mentioned above in Greenville, 45 min from my house.

To get a Dino clock out, do you just un-do the 4 thumb screws on the aluminum panel and ease the panel out or do you have to do it from behind the dash?

Thanks!

8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #8 Crawler, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    That's it, pull the instrument panel. There is a U-shaped bracket that holds the clock tight against the back of the panel. You just have to unscrew the knurled nut that attaches the bracket to the back of the clock and it comes right out.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks Dan!

10. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi is nick (radio pilot) still doing his clock repairs? I need one doing. Nick can pm me with our contact details please I am not allowed to pm yet!

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Nick is out of the country for an extended leave and will not be back for a few years so he is currently not doing clocks.

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I had to have my clock re-repaired because it started having a problem going for more than a few ticks...which makes it difficult to time it right (pun intended) when judges look at the car. So I gave it to Palo Alto Speedometer. It required some hard to find parts that took a couple weeks to locate, but I'll have it back next week. Clock repairs are not cheap.

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I had my clock repaired last week by speedy cables in the UK..£50 including a full overhaul and shampoo!!

14. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Once more, it seems that the price of various specialized repairals is higher in the USA than i our old Europe.

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I re-built my own clock and it was not terribly difficult. From my experience I would imagine that almost any watchmaker could do the work. I have found the guys at PA speedometer abrasive and expensive and I would not give them my business under any circumstances.

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Rob, you have to realize that us mere mortals do not have the talent, knowledge or tools of someone like yourself who doesn't seem fazed taking on any restoration challenge. My clock wasn't working when I acquired my Dino, so I had it repaired by Nick along with freshening up all my other instruments. So his fix lasted about 15 months before I had to keep adjusting the time and then finally it would tick no more. Surely parts that were `ok' during Nick's repair finally gave out. So I decided to try someone different and PA Speedo is on my way to work. I pick up the repaired clock this week and yes it will be expensive, but my dealings with them so far has been a very cordial experience...so no complaints here.

17. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I am going with Rob... He has my vote.

18. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Guys:

I bought a jewelers lathe for just this purpose. I am figuring out how to merge parts from a 206/246 "L" clock with a later clock so that you can keep the early adjustment knob and use it on the later Veglia quartz clock assemblies.

I'll send photos in the coming weeks and hopefully others will be inspired to try this fix themselves.

Stay tuned - I work slowly (but carefully).

Cheers,

Keith

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have successfully converted 6 of these clock to Quartz with no issues on the second hand. What is funny is that I have been getting outbid on Quartz cores on Ebay by a buyer named PASPEEDO
    Sounds Like Claus Meese of Palo Alto SPeedometer ... LOL

20. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Living walking distance from Palo Alto Speedo and possibly needing a clock rebuild in the future, I like what Claus is doing :)

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Buy a Fiat 124 or Fiat 2000 clock and they are Quarzo with the same fit. Just watch the faceplate mounting screws, there seem to be two different radii that Veglia used to screw the face to backplate in the 1970s