Close call in Hartford this past weekend. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Close call in Hartford this past weekend.

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by yourk, Jun 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil

It was Hartford and he showed up. :)

2. musicman102357

musicman102357 Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    No you have a Home Depot Toyota , any association of the word Ferrari to that car is an insult to the name. With all the money you probably wasted on that thing you could have had a deposit on a 308 .

3. musicman102357

musicman102357 Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    Jason ,

Where are your pictures from the event ?
    I always look forward to seeing all your photos.

M

4. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

Ha Ha!! Nice :) !! Ya know, Emil, Hartford is known as the insurance capitol of the world. Wonder what the guy's insurance co is gonna say about repairing his 308, after they see the vid....

5. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    :D

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So does anyone know the Real End of the story?

Apparently the Police followed them to the Concours for a follow up 'chat"....

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

:D :D :D :D

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

:D :D :D :D

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    He came around the corner fast and then put his foot into the gas to catch up with the cars ahead of him, causing the rear end to kick out. Then, instead of staying on the gas, he lifted his foot at the same time he overcorrected, causing the front end to snap back in the opposite direction, and off he went. Typical rookie mistake. If he had kept his foot into it, he'd have done a power slide and been able to straighten the car out. But most folks that have no training react by lifting off the gas instinctively. Staying on the gas is counter-intuitive, but its what he needed to do.

11. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Oh, I see..... I thought the sun got in his eyes and than a deer jumped right in front of him.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

Minor comment: the driver turned the wheels into the skid and had not overcorrected. The point at which we could say that he had overcorrected began after he lifted off the throttle. His wheels had been pointed in exactly the correct position had he simply stayed on the throttle. (your point).

13. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I missed all this Hartford discussion hiding in the NY forum! I was there in my 355, parked right across from the F50. My first year with a car in the event so figured maybe I'd sign up for the parade next year. Then THIS happens, who knows what will be allowed next year. Great video (I just heard the tires screeching) and great pic Jason!

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Correct. Most people don't realize that lifting your foot off the throttle has the same effect as stepping on the brake -- it shifts the weight of the car forward. So once the rear wheels broke loose, lifting off the throttle shifted more weight forward, causing the front wheels to grip more and the rear to get lighter and have even less grip. Thus, the rear end snapped around and off he went. Anyone who has ever been on a skid pad learns very quickly how this all works, oversteer vs. understeer.

When I was just learning to drive as a teenager, my dad took me out to a large, wide open parking lot on a rainy Sunday morning, and made me spin the car out a bunch of times. We practiced it over and over until I could keep control of the car. I did that many times when I was learning to drive, and did it with my own kids when they were learning. Until you've experienced what it feels like behind the wheel and trained yourself to react properly, your instincts can often get you into more trouble than you can imagine when driving a car.

15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Just for the record, that wasn't me!

My 308's silver, but it's a GTB.

16. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Cool! Thanks for clearing that up! ;)

17. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #67 Saint Bastage, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ha, good catch, that's me. I was a bit excited for my first Concorso in my own car, got there early (and was 1 day after getting my clutch in).