Clovis (Cannon AFB) NM | FerrariChat

Clovis (Cannon AFB) NM

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by rovingtravler, Mar 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rovingtravler

rovingtravler Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Anyone in the area or know anyone in the area? I will be moving to Cannon Air Force Base this fall and trying to see if there are any owners or forum members.

thanks,
    David

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I can't imagine Clovis is an exotic car magnet.

You have 3 Jalpa's?

I guarantee they will be the only ones in Clovis.

3. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    I kind of figured but you never know.

When I lived in Daleville, AL while going through Helicopter training I figured I was the only Jalpa too. That was until I pulled into walmart and parked next to a black 86. I was amazed. Ended up becoming good friends with the guy.

I was just hoping.

3 Jalpas. I will probably be selling one soon and will be getting a Countach within the next year... hopefully sooner.

4. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I spent the worst two years of my Air Force career in Clovis. It is one of the worst citys in the country. Good luck driving your car as the roads are horrible. I was there from Dec '08 - Sep '10. Turned down multiple $100k+ jobs there. Wish I could find something positive to say about but.........there isnt one I can think of. My condolenses (sp).

5. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I was stationed there many years ago. Flat as a board. Lots of violent weather. Hail. Tornadoes. Dust storms.

The good news: Since there's nothing for 100 miles around, the auto hobby shop was a major center of action and well equipped.

The bad news: There is nothing for 100 miles around.

6. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks guys. I agree the roads are worse then they were in Alaska! Very bumpy and the wind is bad as well.

I went done there just over a week ago for an interview... I should have the paperwork shortly for the job, but the housing market is not great. Nothing to do in any direction until you go about 100 miles as stated.

Hopefully the wife can get orders in two years instead of four for a new assignment!

7. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Well I officially Received a Job offer at Cannon AFB. All to do is set the start date... Looks like I might be headed down there before my wife.

8. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    15 July is my start date.

Anyone in the area???

I saw a viper when I was down there, but that was it.

9. FIGSTR

FIGSTR Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Reedley
    Full Name:
    The Figster
    im in albuquerque, but im in clovis everynow and then (once a quarter). i dont drive an F or L Car, unless you count a mustang as an FCar =) welcome to the land of entrapment

10. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Come and visit Santa Fe

11. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks Guys. I will be heading to some other cities, hopefully, with the Lambo. Right now starts the crazy pack up and move part of my life.

Flew into Jersey to pick up my Excursion and Travel Trailer and then drove to Clovis in two days (1900+ miles). Dropped it off as a staging point and to stay in as we move from Denver to Cloivs. Then drove Yesterday to Denver. Now toime to grab the car hauler tonight. Unpack the boxes and start packing up the house. I figure three or four trips shoudl do it. I just hope the weather gets a little better 102 in Denver and 100+ in the shade in Cloivs.

Good times ahead. At least I will be send ing this Jalpa to NH and getting my other one sent to Clovis so no issue trailering the car over those bumpy roads.

P.S. if anyone know of a nice house for sale or rent PM me. The market is extremely tight due to the military build up at Cannon.

12. rovingtravler

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    The car (Jalpa 382) arrived this past weekend. The car is amazing. my mechanic completely redid the steering and if you did not know you would think he installed power steering. Even at a stop the effort is less than 1/3 of what it is on my other Jalpa. The car is so tight in every aspect it is amazing. The only issue is the way to quiet exhaust. The system is a beautiful polished stainless steel, but softer than stock; otherwise amazing. The trans and shifting is the best I have driven in 7 Jalpas. Once titled and registered there are going to be some fun rides on these country roads :)