clutch adjustment 246? | FerrariChat

clutch adjustment 246?

Discussion in '206/246' started by gblue, Jul 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha..my clutch is slipping a little and pedal grabs too high....should I lengthen or shorten the small clutch adjustment arm?..Mahalo.....Gregg

206 GT 00350

2. ferrarinyc

ferrarinyc Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Tony G
    I think you may have the same problem that I did. It may be the pressure plate. Check the acceleration when you are in a high gear. If it is slipping when you punch the gas while you are in 4th or 5th gear, then the pressure plate is probably shot. If you have a talented mechanic, it is NOT an engine out service to reach that part of the clutch. Good luck!!!

3. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Shorten the cable adjustment. Remove tension/return spring and adjust for 1/16" free play in cable

4. chrisvanessen

chrisvanessen Rookie

Jun 30, 2017
    near Royston, Herts
    Full Name:
    Chris van Essen
    I'm new to the forum but have a clutch problem on my 1971 246gt - I am in the UK.
    Tell me if I need to start a new thread, but here goes: problem is that the clutch tends to stick down (disengaged) so when trying to start from rest, the pedal remains down, then suddenly engages. If I try to operate the pedal repeatedly in neutral, it does not smoothly follow my foot but seems to stick (a little, or a lot) when still engaged. So far I have tried to lubricate all the linkages at the front and rear, with virtually no effect. I will order a new Superformance clutch cable but what are the other things to consider? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

5. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    If my memory serves me well....disconnect clutch cable at both ends, check pedal is free to move. Clutch cable is lubricated with oil, not grease and should be free to move. If pedal sticks, check obvious things like carpeting or mats gettting in the way, return spring etc. The pedal pivots on a steel shaft, whch in turn runs in brass sleeves in common with brake pedal, rust and muck can cause the pedals to stick. If pedal moves freely and cable is well lubricated and free to move, then the problem is elsewhere and one has to move onto checking other stuff. does that help.. hope so, but not sure....:)

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    All good advice and I would think that the problem lies in the clutch cable as they are known to corrode internally and break. Corrosion will surely create a sticky cable. One other thing to look for are the springs that return the clutch pedal. These can be seen from under the front bonnet once the plastic surround for the spare tire is removed. IIRC there are 2 springs and it is not uncommon for them to break. Certainly if one or both of these springs are broken you will be relying on the springs on the engine to push the pedal back which could be hit or miss when transferring that load through the clutch cable.

7. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Could be worn clutch face. As a clutch wears the pedal releases higher

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's even an advanced DIY with two tips: loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine a bit to get at the last bell housing nut, and press out the flywheel alignment studs to install the replacement clutch kit.