Clutch cable blues 330/365 | FerrariChat

Clutch cable blues 330/365

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jhkm12345, Sep 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jhkm12345

jhkm12345 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    John M
    Guys, I'm at a loss on this project. I'm replacing the clutch cable in my late 1967 330GTC and it has the cable actuated clutch similar to a 365.

I got the old one out but it came out in pieces as the inner cable had snapped. Without the inner cable, it allowed for access to the cable housing nut under the dash. The new cable, of course, has the remainder of the inner cable poking through the firewall, disallowing access to tighten.

Surely someone here has done this and has a better plan of attack. Shy of removing the under dash AC blower / evap unit, I don't know how I can gain access. Anyone have a trick or suggestion?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You will have to make a special wrench to tighten that nut. The access is very limited.
    You can use a closed end wrench and cut a slot in it to fit around the inner cable. You may have to grind the outside of the wrench for clearance on the cable bracket. You may have to start with a "C" or "S" shaped wrench in order to clear the A/C unit.

3. jhkm12345

jhkm12345 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    John M
    I got it... the hole in the firewall that the cable end passes through is slightly smaller than a standard socket, so I had to grind down the outer wall of a sacrificial deep well 20mm socket.
    This allows me to put a socket over the cable end through the firewall to get to the lock nut on the cable housing under the dash. Unfortunately after doing that, the cable bottomed out inside the socket. The solution was another sacrificial deep well socket spot welded to the tail of the first... allows an extra deep cavity for the cable end to pass through while tightening the cable lock nut from inside the engine bay.

box end or c/s shaped wrench might work too but you're turning the nut at less than a quarter flat per effort. Doing this upside-down with minimal space makes this MISERABLE.

Just got back on from the first test drive and all is well. perfect motion.