Clutch data point | FerrariChat

Clutch data point

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Feb 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Just wanted to share this, as I know it is a recurrent question
    Clutch wear on my Gen1 612 is 30% at 18 600KM = 11.6k miles ( see picture below ) A small caveat to this is that I know that the clutch mechanism was changed at 9000KM under guarantee but I am not sure if this included the disc. This could mean 30 000KM clutch life or 60 000KM... I know it is a big difference, I will try to have the info and keep you posted.
    I went to my Ferrari dealer to get an F1 fluid change which was never done in 14 years, the dealer pointed out that this is not specified in the maintenance of the 612, also did the gearbox oil change which was long overdue but did not affect the LSD operation. Dealer side it was time, oil was very dark.
    I feel the gear change is sharper in Sport mode, definitely quicker clutch release, but no change on the diff side which I guess is a good sign since it was operating properly before. Also got some fresh MSSP in K2 spec front and rear as well as a complete wheel geometry as recently upgraded all ball joints to hill engineering (an overkill though at this mileage, the oem ball joints had little play, but nothing that altered the ride quality) . Also did an Air co refill as I could hear the fluid noise in the car (means too little AC fluid)

I expected catastrophic clutch wear as I always smell it after a drive, spirited or not makes no difference. So it is a + surprise. By curiosity I asked how much a clutch change would cost, I was quoted 8K$ work + parts. There is apparently 2 days of work for a trained mechanic to do it properly as gearbox need to be taken out in order to take the drive shaft out and finally get the bell housing off the engine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Next time you go see your dealer show him this from the 599. It took Ferrari a long, long time to figure out the F1 fluid needed to be changed every 3 years for all F1 Ferraris. Unfortunately they never published a bulletin to that effect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono likes this.