360 - Clutch life vs TCU | FerrariChat

360 Clutch life vs TCU

Discussion in '360/430' started by 78bonanza, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    I’ve read quite a few threads reporting better shifting with later TCU units . My concern is with overall clutch life in relation to the TCU installed . My car has a 185301 TCU which is unable to adjust PIS manually but uses the auto set feature on the SD2 computer .
    The question is does anyone have real data/experience on the later TCUs providing significantly longer clutch life through better PIS adjustments, etc?
    I posed this question to a well known advertiser on this forum and in his experience it was a waste of dollars, etc.
    I’m just curious if it’s worthwhile to try to find a later unit based others real experiences.
    Thanks

2. Rhoads56

Rhoads56 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Perry
    I’m at 54,000 kms on the original clutch, using the CS TCU.

I downshift manually at 95% of lights because the sound of the blips are intoxicating. I’m sure this adds more wear.

Two track days so far, and I even went to the drags to check the quoted 12.4 second quarter mile. I got 12.5 on a 36deg C day. I’m sure that speeds up wear.

Every freeway on-ramp is a drag strip. I like to drive my car.

I’ve had the PIS adjusted twice, once after fitting the CS TCU at 20,000kms and again when the F1 pump went a few thousand later.

I bought the car with 18,000 on it. Previous owner did 3,000 in six years due to fear the clutch would wear.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is a definite difference in driving experience between early and late TCUs. BUT, people spend WAY TOO MANY brain cells on clutch wear. If you average 2-3K per year and even on the low end estimates a clutch lasts 20K, you are looking at a clutch every 10 years. PLUS, most get a lot more on a clutch if it is well set up. SO, are you concerned if the clutch lasts 10 years or 10 years and 3 months? I know I am not.

ShadowLAP and KC360 FL like this.