clutch overheating code | FerrariChat

clutch overheating code

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Randbrit, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randbrit

Randbrit Rookie

Jun 3, 2017
    Rancho Mirage
    Full Name:
    Darrell Auxier
    Hello Everyone out there. Well, here it goes. Just got a clutch overheating code on my 2010 California. I've read several posts and it appears it could be something as minor(haha) as a sensor, or something extremely severe. I have not experienced any of the shifting issues that I've read about.(even numbers missing and reverse), but maybe that's just a matter of time. The car has 14500 miles. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in Advance,

Dman

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unless you have an OBDII code reader you probably just got a text warning message, not a code (number).

Are you the original owner? Otherwise, do you know the entire history of your car, or can you check its full service history? 2010 cars were more prone to having this issue but your car's DCT may have already been serviced. Was it actually hot, weather-wise, when it happened? Do you commute (i.e. experience traffic jams) with the car? I understand temperatures in Rancho Mirage go above 105°F in the Summer, and can hit 120°F.

DCT temperatures probably mirror radiator temperatures so I would keep a close eye on the water and oil temp dials. My water and oil temperatures generally never go above 95°C or 203°F. Drop down to COMFORT mode and AUTO, using mild throttle input when you see high temperatures. Don't park it because driving gently actually cools the DCT, circulates coolant whereas parking it just lets the DCT stew. When you get within 2 miles of home, slow down and just drive gently to perform a cool-down. Pop the hood after you park it in the garage. I know the DCT is at the back - if you're nervous use a cordless leaf blower to circulate air around the DCT for a couple of minutes after a hot day. I actually do that with my cars even though it generally does not get hotter than 92°F here.

Finally, if you're a bit of a geek you might want to aim an IR thermometer at the DCT after your drives and at least mentally keep a log of how hot it gets.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Randbrit

Randbrit Rookie

Jun 3, 2017
    Rancho Mirage
    Full Name:
    Darrell Auxier
    Thanks for the info. You're right it was not a code, just a text warning. And I was driving in sport mode. Am I correct to assume that it's probably not a fluid issue because this is a closed system, and unless a have a leak it should not be low on fluid.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I suspect you should have already read this other thread on overheated clutches but maybe you haven't. The DCT is indeed a sealed unit and the car should not experience any heat issues. Having said that, the 2010 model year was apparently more prone to having DCT heat sensor issues than later models, unless the car owner has already serviced that issue.

FWIW, it's always good to run the last 2 miles or so in cool down mode. The DCT is located low and rear, to improve rear traction and to lower the COG, all for sake of performance, not for optimum cooling. Keep an eye on the gauges, get to know what temperatures are normal and when you see a spike, slow down and cool the car off. Engine temps should correlate somewhat with DCT temps. You do live in an abnormally hot area.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Darrell, I just recall another piece of advice I can offer.

If you have already done a thorough research on FChat you may have noticed another owner of a (2010?) Cali in Australia also had a heat problem with his car. His service garage (can't remember if it was an indy or AD shop) swapped the original small oil heat exchanger with the larger one that Ferrari started using for the cars from MY 2013 onwards. The larger heat exchanger is located just aft of the DCT. This was arguably Ferrari's fix for the DCT overheating problem in earlier cars. The DCT uses oil as a coolant and the oil is circulated and cooled via a radiator on the circuit. The original radiator was located just aft of the engine radiator (see below).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

OTOH MY 2013 cars were fitted with a much larger radiator, just aft of the DCT (see below); probably because it was too big to place in the front. The Aussie Cali owner apparently had his car refitted with this larger radiator. So if you are concerned and want to avoid heat damage and possible DCT repairs, this option may be a long term solution as it will likely lessen the chance of repeated heat problems, whereas just replacing a heat-damaged sensor will not guarantee if the new sensor will also fall victim to the same heat problem down the road.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The benefit of a cool down is that when you drive the car at a slower pace, taking care not to make unnecessary gear shifts (for fun), the car gets a chance to cool the DCT oil coolant, reduce the temperatures inside the DCT and this will lessen the "cooking" of the DCT internals after you park the car.

A hot car will literally cook all of its parts once it is parked and no longer cooled by fans or passing air. Many people don't realize this but the heat damage can be worse in a parked car than in a moving car because of the loss of cooling. That's why I also always pop the hood - heat also degrades RUBBER and all cars have to have rubber parts eventually. Heat accelerates this process.

6. Andynyc

Andynyc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2017
    NYC!
    Hi sorry to hear it’s happening to you too. It’s occurring to my 2013 Cali, I have about 18k miles on it. I am keeping my thread ( mentioned above) updated.