Coating header / cooling tank for rust protection | FerrariChat

Coating header / cooling tank for rust protection

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pshoejberg, Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Anyone that know if this product is usable for coating a header / cooling tank: Por15 fuel tank repair kit?

The user manual doesn't mention anything about using the product(s) for anything else than a fuel tank but I was just wondering if it could be used to precautionary protect the header tank against corrosion.

Best, Peter

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I assume by header/cooling tank you mean the expansion tank at the back, passenger side of the engine compartment that holds overflow coolant.

I used a motorcycle gas tank kit many years ago. I removed as much of the light rust inside the tank by filling it with nuts (as in nuts and bolts) and continually shaking it to remove the scale. Once cleaned, the process was a two part solution. First to neutralize the metal, then the actual paint. So far so good. My reasoning was that coolant would be less destructive long term than gas.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Correct, I mean the expansion tank. My concern is if the POR15 system can handle the cooling fluid / water with respect to corrosion. I am just surprised that nobody have ever tried to protect their their coolant tank with the POR15 system since these are prone to rust. The POR15 system contains an acid that removes any corrosion before applying the final protection coat, hence no need for mechanical removal of rust.
    Best, Peter

FloridaIsland348 likes this.
  4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    POR15 certainly could work. I still would use some nuts to loosen any clumps of rust before painting. Obviously you have to pour it in the tank and then move the tank all around to get full coverage, then allow it to drain out the bottom. I would make sure the POR15 is not too thick and doesn't settle on the bottom in a thick layer as it dries.

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the good advise Joe. I will fill the tank with some coarse sand, plug it up, wrap it in a duvet and give a good shake in my cement mixer for a couple of hours. That should ensure a good clean blasted like surface for good adhesion.

Best, Peter