355 - Code P1448 Every 50 Miles | Page 5 | FerrariChat

355 Code P1448 Every 50 Miles

Discussion in '348/355' started by sgtpeper, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I cleared the codes and left the one O2 sensor unplugged. On the first start I have a slow down light. I drove about 2 miles and stopped. When I got back in and started the car I had a flashing slow down light. Is this just because the one o2 sensor is unplugged?

I didn't drive hard and the fuse hasn't popped - yet. Although it took more miles for it to do so last time.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't think he understands the problem you have. The exposed wire is on the non-black/white/grey side of the connector. If the problem is there, the fuse will blow irrespective of how many O2 sensors you have plugged in. He's also suggesting what we don't want you to do.

Whilst it is probably the damaged insulation causing the problem, we just want you to eliminate other causes before you start reinserting fuses.

3. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It seems everything else seems to be working correctly based on what you guys said to do though correct?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #104 Qavion, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Not sure what to make of this. There will be some kind of earth in the Motronics ECU. There may be a direct connection from the ECU to the car (completing the loop) or, more likely, there may be some electronics in the ECU as part of that loop. The electronics may not like you measuring the resistance of the circuit. When you measure resistance, the meter puts a small current into the circuit.

What display do you get on your meter when the leads are not touching anything (in resistance mode). Does it show "0L"? This means open circuit (infinite resistance). When you say the meter does nothing on one wire, does it continue to show the same indication that you got with the leads connected to nothing? That should be the power wire from the fuse. The one that flashed is probably the wire going to the ECU. Is the same behaviour repeated for the other sensors?

Possibly. Driving without an O2 sensor hooked up may be telling the ECU to pump lots of extra fuel into one bank and your cat will be overheating and suffering as a result. I would reconnect the O2 sensor you disconnected.

If you do decide to go on another drive (assuming you've patched up the wiring properly and hooked up the O2 sensor), the SD light may go away completely, but I wouldn't immediately panic if it comes back. The false O2 sensor information which has been going to the ECU (courtesy of the shorted wiring or disconnected O2 sensor), may take a certain time period to be un-learnt (?) Of course, if the problem continues, I would take the car to your mechanic.

Regarding your meter. After this problem has gone away, I would remove the battery from your meter. You don't know when your next electrical problem will happen, and batteries have a tendency of leaking and destroying the meter battery contacts.

5. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My meter shows 1 when nothing is touching. When I touched the 2 together it does go to 0. When I connected to one socket it stays at 1 when I touched the other it sort of jumps around for a second before going back to 1 - which may be that I wasn't on a great ground.

I'll try reconnecting the O2 sensor and making sure there is something around that bare wire and drive the car to my first appointment tomorrow.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The 1 may actually be a lower case "L" (open circuit).

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Hopefully your mechanic will have nothing to do :D

8. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I re-connected the sensor and went for a drive. After about 7 miles or so the slow down light went from blinking to solid. I got home shut down the car and restarted - back to blinking light.

I didn't have a check engine light but checked the codes anyway and got the following:
    p1119
    p1115
    p0154
    p1445

I cleared the codes and started the car again and slow down light is still blinking.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't know if the codes are old or not, but:
    p1119, p1115 are left and right O2 heater related
    p0154 is "no activity detected" on left upstream cat. Was that the O2 sensor you left disconnected?

p1445 is related to the slow down light (I think the right hand bank). According to the manual, may be:
    Faulty thermocouple, faulty thermocouple ECU, problem related to injectors or ignitors, fuel tank level (????).

10. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep, I think that was the one disconnected.

Safe to say maybe I should stop testing things and just wait for my mechanic to be available and leave it with him...

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did your fuse blow again?

Perhaps the light is showing a real cat overheat problem or the SDECU is over-reading. An infra-red temperature gun should tell you or your mechanic if the heat problem is real.

sgtpeper likes this.
  12. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Started it this morning and still have the flashing slow down light. I checked codes and I have one already - p1445.

I also took a look at my CCUs and they are the newer green ones if that helps.. All wires seemed to still be connected properly as well.

Qavion likes this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If it started flashing almost immediately, then your cat should be ok. It wouldn't have had time to heat up that fast. It has to be a thermocouple, SDECU or wiring.

If you had more time, you could have swapped SDECU's to see if the problem transferred to the other bank. Your message would become P1454

Technistrada offer some cheaper SDECU's and thermocouples. Note: I don't know if you're looking for originality, but their SDECU is somewhat smaller and lighter than OEM.

https://technistrada.com/

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Green helps, but does not mean trouble free. Mine were all changed to green a couple years before I bought my car. But over the next ten years and 35k miles of driving, I replaced one or two that failed.

15. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    We are ordering a couple of those technistrada units to test.

Isn't it weird that I would all of a sudden have the slow down light though with all the other issues?

16. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Since I'm obsessing... How many of these units are there? I've found 3 I believe? 1 on the left side and 2 on the right - one higher and one lower.

The cables are all pretty short. How would I go about swapping the plugs to see if it changes the code?

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Three is the total. As I posted in PM, the right side is easy, just swap the plugs between the two to test. For the left, you will have to physically move it. Since you have two codes, for P1448 and P1445, might be better to wait until the replacements come and simply install a known good one in the bad position and test that way.

sgtpeper likes this.
  18. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yea, I'll wait for the parts... Just anxious and really want to get out and drive with this nice weather!

It does sort of stumble on first start when you give it a bit of gas which isn't great...

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What's your cold idle speed at start? Could be a dirty idle control valve. You can remove it and flush it out with some aerosol carb cleaner

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps it's simply that you're driving the car more and exposing some of the car's latent faults. Some of us were originally working on the theory that the O2 heater system was causing your cat temperature problem (i.e. because of wrong O2 readings, the ECU was perhaps commanding more fuel than was necessary). However, now that you've told us that your SD light comes on on start up, it seems you have two or more separate issues.

I'm surprised that you (and your mechanic) jumped right into purchasing new SDECUs. Did your mechanic test the thermocouple on the faulty side? You can use your multimeter to compare the resistances of the thermocouples on the left and right side. FWIW, Technistrada make some very cheap thermocouples.

Hopefully the stumbling is related to one of your other issues. Solid SD lights can shut down a bank, so that won't help. Neither will incorrect O2 readings due to heater problems.

Hopefully your tech is using his years of experience and the information you are giving him to diagnose the problem and not just "shotgunning" (i.e. throwing numerous expensive parts at the problem until something fixes it.) Any amateur can do that (with free labour). ;)

21. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How do I check the resistance of the thermocouples on each side?

The mechanic hasn't seen the car yet. He's still booked. He's not charging me for the parts unless we need them he just wants to be ready so I can get the car back quickly once it does go in. He's one of the first Ferrari Master Techs so he's going off his experience to what would cause all of these.

I'm wondering if the sort of electrical burn smell I got after my hard drive was one of the ECUs just failing. He also thinks my bypass isn't opening correctly because that ECU is dead too.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If that's actually what he told you he isn't much of a master mechanic, or at least not one with 355 experience. A failed cat ECU will not cause the bypass to not operate correctly.

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  23. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #124 Qavion, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Just pull the small plug off your green-potted SDECU (the plug with the metal braid/shielded wire attached to it) and check the resistance between the two pins. Ratarossa has a video on SLOW DOWN issues, but he probably goes too deeply into things for you.

A resistance check is not ultra reliable unless you do a check across a wide range of temperatures, but at least you can check the room temperature value without burning yourself (The ones on the right hand side are hard to get to and the exhaust is nearby).

I checked the value on one of mine at 60F and got 2.2 ohms subtracting 0.3 for my multimeter leads. I had to find some spare pins to insert into the plug sockets (because my multimeter probes were too big)

25. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Isn't it just strange that I'm just getting the slow down light right after I messed with the plugs for the o2 sensors though?