News

Cold brewed coffee?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by tomc, Aug 5, 2019.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 3, 2007
    MD / SD
    All this peer pressure is gonna make me try cold coffee. I've always done hot and black. Coarse grind and a French press.

2. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do it. And, if you want to be buzzing all day, use Jeremy's measurements above. I've been enjoying it for the past few days as my morning "cold espresso"!
    Two - 3 demitasse cups, straight, unless I'm driving the Cali, then it's 1 - 2 cups.
    T

Continental AutoSports and NbyNW like this.
  3. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You a science nerd?!? Amazon does sell it.
    T

4. NbyNW

NbyNW Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 3, 2007
    MD / SD
    Yep, started as a chemistry lab rat, still involved but not in the lab any longer.

5. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My brother!
    That's why I love cooking. I'm too old to be screwing around with dangerous chemicals. Cooking helps me get my lab freak on!
    T

6. NbyNW

NbyNW Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 3, 2007
    MD / SD
    Glad I’m not around those chemicals any longer either... but I need to do more cooking. The wife handles most of it. I run the grill, fry eggs, and make chili, that’s about it. Other than special projects like hot sauces.

I’ll ask her about cold brewed coffee and maybe give it a try.

7. wax

wax Four Time F1 World Champ
    Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  8. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Hmm. I may have to figure out where I hid my Aeropress...T

9. wax

Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Finally had a chance to Sun-Brew with French Press.

It's twue! It's twue!

Slightly more caramel & sweetness abounds - highly recommend you give it a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Details? Time, temp, amounts, etc.

I brewed up a batch on Sunday for this morning. Same proportions as above. Got a bag of Guatemalan Antigua whole bean from Starbucks. Not as good as the Ethiopian Yergacheffe I got at Kroger IMO. People say Starbucks burns their coffee, so maybe that's the issue?!? Maybe I used too much/left it in to long. It did taste a tad more bitter than the Ethiopian.
    T

11. wax

Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #36 wax, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:01 PM
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    You'd need to use a SB's Blonde Espresso Bean to not get their signature char.
    ----

4 Cups Purified Water
    @ 1/4+ Cup Coffee

It's Heller than Hot & grind was rougher for this Test Run, so it only took an hour+ at 16:1 to believe it was equal color/strength to Drip. There was also a familiar slight foam on top as an indicator.

Compared it to Cup from Drip. While Drip was slightly warmer, strength was indeed same, but Sunny French Press was Nuance City.

In comparison to a regular French Press, I would also say it was Superior.

However, a combination of Smaller Grind, Less Coffee, More Time should really make for a happy camper. I'll do that sometime between Thursday-Monday.

12. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yeah, good point on the lighter roast. The Kroger Private Selection Yirgacheffe was listed on the package as "mild", which I am assuming means a lighter roast, and that was definitely better for the cold brew, at least by my taste buds. Oh well, live & learn...T

13. wax

Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #38 wax, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 4:26 AM
    HEADS-UP!

I edited my previous post to correct Water from incorrect 2 to correct 4 Cups & subsequently, ratio was standard 16:1.

---------

Yeah, haven't roasted in forever, but Yirgacheffe is tricky to roast light & if you want to DIY, Sweet Maria's is a must to bring out the legendary flavors like Blueberry, Lemon, etc..

I tried other suppliers & they needed more time, as they were otherwise weak & more like straw than lemon, which meant getting altogether different nuances with more time, etc.. May as well get other cheaper regions.

Antigua is well-liked here, so I picked up a ground bag of "Guatemala" from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Hey, it was half-off at Safeway!

This stuff today was something from Polly's, which we get loads of via Bride's contacts. She ground the last batch, hence coarse grind. Last week, another person gave her 2 more 4-oz. baggies of Kona & Maui Red & those are long gone. *weeps*