Cold Shower | FerrariChat

Cold Shower

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Dec 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Got home from the gym tonight looking forward to a nice hot shower. NOT. How do you tell if the gas water heater is shot or should be repaired? I know it would be easy to replace but the new stuff is not the same quality, right? Mine is 25 yo.

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    25 years is much longer than the average water heater life, which is usually 10-15 years. I doubt it would be worth it to repair. New ones are likely more energy efficient too.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ten to a dozen years is typical. Ours blew this past year after about that long. Go to a big box store or Sears and buy a new one. We used a local HVAC company, we've been dealing with all the time we have lived in Texas, and for about a thousand bucks, they went and bought the one we (i.e., the wife) wanted, installed it, and hauled off the old one...T

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Before you jump into a new water heater, check the pilot light.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 Sometimes a slug of propane in the gas line will blow out the pilot light. However, 25 years is exceptional life for a water heater. Look at it this way, if you need to buy a new water heater now, you will be on your 2nd unit while most folks will be on their 3rd.