Collectibility - which Ferrari to keep? | FerrariChat

Collectibility - which Ferrari to keep?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by abo78, Nov 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Dear all

Maybe a strange question but nevertheless I ask it... :)

I own a 1974 Ferrari 365 GT4/BB and a 2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta. Both are red, in good condition, with full history and relative low mileage. At current they seem to priced in the market in about the same region though with the 365BB maybe a bit higher.

I need to clean out my "inventory" a bit and have decided to let one of them go and probably keep the other one for longterm ownership. I love them both the same in each of their way and if I could I would of course just keep both.

MY QUESTION :

Which one would you keep seen in a long time collectibility and valuewise scope?

Hit me! :)

Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Altho' the Barchetta is theoretically a Limited Edition and therefore rarer car I'd keep the BB not only because it has a roof (!) but also as emissions rules become tougher my feeling is older classics by age will be treated better than newer as its an easier identifier for governments - 'heritage bla bla bla'

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Wow, tough question.

I have always said that the 550 Barchetta is one of the most beautiful and collectible modern Ferraris. But a 365 GT4/BB, that's a really collectible one too.

They made less of the 365 GT4/BB compared to the 550 Barchetta. Plus when you look at the production numbers of the families 365BB/512BB/512BBi vs. 550/550 Barchetta/575/Superamerica the Boxer family has much much fewer examples.

Finally, I consider the carbed Boxers the last analog Ferraris so that's another plus for the Boxer. (To me anyway.)

We may not see anything like the Boxer platform for a long time or ever again, but the front engine V-12 is going to be around for a while.

Keep the Boxer.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The Boxer will make you money.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I never saw the appeal of the Barchetta or Superamerica - being that they're totally open - but the Boxer is a legit historic Ferrari supercar. I had a poster of a yellow over black Boxer in my room when I was in high school. Unfortunately out of my league now.

So it would be a no brainer for me. I'd keep the BB. If you GAVE me a Barchetta, I'd sell it and get something else, like a manual 599.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    365 hands down

anunakki likes this.
  7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Nice choice to have. What will be worth more in the future...who knows, flip a coin! Go back 20 years and who would have thought 246/330s etc. would be worth what they are today?

Personally I'd go for the 365. First Ferrari I saw in the flesh and have never stopped wanting one. I'd also like a 550, but not as much.

That said, I'm sure there are as many people who would vote the other way.

Pick the one that best fits the driving you do...

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    If it's -only- for an investment why not sell both and make a better investment?

If it's also about enjoying the car, keep the one you like the most.

9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You have 2 truly great Ferrari Cars. Both have collect ability written all over their heritage. I made out the first time around selling the next to the last ( not Vin #) new in Europe as the importer of 84 512 BBi after driving it for a few yrs. Sold 6 mo before the fall of the Japan's Market. Yes Collector cars do follow markets. Unless $$ is needed I personally would keep both. Still kick myself for selling my 72 Dino purchased in 73 (sold poorly in those Yrs) Sold it in 85 for $55,000. Spent 38,000 delightful miles driving it. Still miss it! None of this Garage queen stuff, none of this repaint stuff=carfax baloney( dealers don't). None of the jewelry stuff on front fenders. Just real purpose cars. Take care of them, repair when necessary, do it well!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    365BB is the only rational choice, here.

Bullfighter likes this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Without any doubt... keep the BB.

12. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I would go along with the majority and keep the Boxer, but I suspect that you know something that most of your advisors without experience of these particular cars don't!

If you come out on a cool morning, the Barchetta will doubtless start easily and soon become completely driveable, smoothly changing gear and behaving much like any modern car.

On the other hand, the carburettored Boxer probably needs 5 minutes or so to warm up a bit before you can drive it anywhere. Second gear will probably be a no-no and the suspension will rattle and groan for up to 10 miles. when the fluids and bushes have warmed.

However, once warm, the Boxer will fly through a long fast bend in a sublime way and in many respects behave like a very highly powered go-kart! It takes a bit more effort but no doubt rewards in spades!

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    The boxer seems like the rational choice to keep-they didn't make many of the carb cars and they're probably not making any more ha ha.

That said, I like older cars and can work on them so I'm biased. Your 550 is very unique for a newer Fcar and that's where I'd question how much weight to put on collectibility/future value-both of these cars are only going to get harder to get so regardless of which is a better long term financial move the one you sell is going to be hard to replace, possibly very hard to replace in the future.

14. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    First reaction is the Boxer. However...

How many V12 spider Ferrari’s are out there for “reasonable” money? None that I can think of. So an argument could be made for the Barchetta.

-F

MVDESQ likes this.
  15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    It actually surprised me the 550 was in the same ballpark.
    I don't get the prices on "new collectables" like a 458 speciale.

Bullfighter likes this.
  16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Is this a trick question? The BB is the winner here. Send that 550 down the road.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Which car do you like to drive? I once owned a '67 330 GTC and a 550 Maranello. The old banger was a hoot to drive. Very old school, massive understeer followed by massive oversteer. But more and more, I found myself reaching for the Maranello keys. The good news came when I sold both. My huge loss on the Maranello was more than offset by my gain on the 330. Sometimes even a blind pig...

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm having a hard time believing that a 550 is a collectible Ferrari.

Bullfighter likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I thought anything that runs is a collectible in Montana.

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would sell the one which you make most profit on in the current market (assuming you have had them for a decent period of time ).

The one you are left with will no doubt be a great investment over the long term.

If you dont care about the above then just keep the BB.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The 365 BB is a proper classic handmade Ferrari. The 550 is a chopped-top version of a relatively mass produced modern car, has no more power than a standard 550, and drives worse due to structural compromises.

If you offered me the choice, on a long-term free loan (meaning I couldn't make a profit or loss on purchase), I'd take the 550, because it's got no roof and is more modern.

If I had to take a punt on one rising in value: nobody knows, but I'd say maybe the 550 because there's more new money than old money.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    That's my thought as well...mostly because I don't think either is going to be truly collectible. If the 365 were, it would be already. "Analog"....pffft....the next generation of car collectors show little interest in analog, nor was the 365 a bedroom poster car for very many of them.
    So if this is about the money, there better options to consider.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If price being equal BB > 550.

However, isn't 550 about $275k and BB $400k? I think both will have pretty stagnant pricing next several years. BB will get 10x the attention at any car show.

24. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
  25. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The BB without even blinking. One of my favorites!