Collecting my new 488 from the factory..... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Collecting my new 488 from the factory.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 100badboy100, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Mel

That's on my list to sort in a bit.....

Think it will be P&O Calais to Dover... I'm not a fan of the tunnel alathough been through it many times...

Need to drop my brother back in London before heading back home....

Regards

Michael

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m curious about something. Despite some humorously claiming the 488 isn’t a loud car, anyone that owns one, encountered one and/or has driven one knows that it has a very loud, throaty and guttural growl. I love it, but I haven’t driven mg car for hours on end. Does that roar ever wear on you after a while?

3. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    Once you drive 150kph and faster, there will be a constant roar from the engine and my better half prefers to use earplugs then Over 200kph it gets really loud.

Needless to say, I don't mind some noise but quite frankly: I enjoy driving the car much more on twisty roads and in mountains rather than on long distance trips on the highway (e.g. hundreds of km in Germany) - my Cayenne with extra thick windscreen and glass for noise reduction is much, much more quiet and comfortable at higher speeds and so is probably any modern high quality SUV or salon.

But hey, who cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    I wonder if disconnecting the 'sound symposers' would reduce excessive sound.

5. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    I tried all modes - does not change the sound mode or level once you are past 150kph

6. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    It's not a mode.
    There are a couple of tubes that bring induction noise from the engine into the cabin.
    Perhaps removing them would help.

7. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi RC

On a run on the motorway the car is actually quite civilised particularly with the windows up, so in answer to your question no it doesn't get to you.

That said I plan on pulling and plugging the vacuum lines when I get home so that may change things, I will keep you posted...

Regards

Michael

8. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    Interesting, never heard about those vacuum tubes or lines...if you know more I would love to learn about it, thx!

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's just the system that opens and closes the exhaust valves and thus controls noise emission. Some people remove the vacuum tubes and the exhaust is always set in the loud position.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Guys, don't get mixed up here ... Fellow sg1 mentionnes NOT the exhaust (vacuumline and valves) ...

Please tell us more about the tubes of the " sound symposers" ... where can they be found, closed ?

11. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    A interesting topic to be further explored - I'm really curious...

I would not want to have the valves open all the time though...

12. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    As Melvok has pointed out the 'sound symposers' are not related to the exhaust system but rather they are connected to the induction tubing, one on each side. Check out the parts diagram - they are called 'sound generators' with tubing leading to the rear of the cabin.
    I believe they can be disconnected by your dealer/experienced mechanic with subsequent reduction of booming resonance in the cabin under certain conditions.

MJR_HK likes this.
  13. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/488-group/488gtb/intercooler.html?mode=split
    Useful link to sound generator and related tubing.

MJR_HK likes this.
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    A couple of years ago I did the same, but with a Maserati. Driving it home (fortunately in rather better weather than Michael has had!) was an important part of the adventure.

of2worlds and 100badboy100 like this.
  15. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

So we are coming to the end of my journey to bring my 488 home....only a few more posts to go...apologies if I'm posting to much, but it will be over soon!!!

The trip
    Had a good drive up from Geneva this morning through France, and had the opportunity to stop at the old Reims pit straight, and take some pictures and have a couple of runs up the straight..(sorry road!!!)

The car
    Couple more observations after driving it now for a few days....

Turbo lag.....Well if you are driving the car in manual there is no lag, it's that simple..in Auto there is no turbo lag but what I would call gear lag, as the car likes to stay in 7 right the way down to say 40mph so you need to do some manual shifting to get it fully on song.

Torque- OMG...I have driven some high torque cars, but blimey this is something else, you need to drive it to understand.. and Torque is really important in real world driving...

Windscreen washers....I need to have a play around with these as they fire over the top of the car...simple but necessary fix..

Indicators...I wasn't sure if I would like the wheel mounted ones, but they are super and wish I could have them on my other car..in fact I'm really happy with all of the steering wheel mounted controls, now that I have had a chance to get used to them, just as I said before, I need to get the extended paddles to suit my driving style..

Some pictures
    Of the old Reims circuit and one on a backroad in France somewhere!

Regards

Michael

of2worlds, LVP488 and Jonkheer like this.
  16. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    WOW WOW WOW those Reims photos are fantastic. I have been there many times but never with anything quite like a new Ferrari. The B&W shot is my favorite. I hope you did one proper high speed pass in front of the old pits :)

100badboy100 likes this.
  17. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Did 2 high speed runs and got them on video!!!

Regards

Michael

of2worlds likes this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    #118 buddyg, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Michael

WOW what an awesome thread! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the information and pics. Congrats so much on your new car, this makes me want to do a factory delivery so bad!

And way to go driving this car in the snow, it won’t hurt it one bit. I have driven my 700 hp rear wheel drive cars through the last 6 Winters in Michigan!

Here is my Snowcat!

Attached Files:

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't apologise, Michael. We're all enjoying your posts, so keep them coming.

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Your factory delivery shots were just the delicious appetizer. The photos from your epic journey home give me the vicarious thrill of being an eye-witness to a superb adventure. Thank you! Fred

of2worlds likes this.
  21. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Buddy

Good to see that I'm not the only one that likes driving in all weather's!

Brilliant picture

Regards
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #122 Melvok, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  23. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ok, so the adventure is pretty much over now, and the car is back home safe and sound in the UK!

So a few things that you may find interesting...

Ferry Ramp- we took the easy option Calais to Dover ferry and the car went on and off the boat easily with the lift up, no issues at all with the ramp, which is good to,know!

Talking about the lift, look at the picture of my front number plate and what happens when you forget to use the front lift! This was in a restaurant car park in Italy...The good news though .......first of all there was zero damage to the car, and the reason being the Carbonio plate mount took the impact and gave me an audible warning as the metal of the mount scraped the floor! So the Carbonio plate mount not only holds the plate but acts as a warning when you are tight on clearance, for those without lift this could be a good option to warn you when you are to low without actually scraping the car as it will scrape the metal of the mount first!

I have given the car a good clean up and the only battle scars are 3 tiny stone chips that chipguard will sort for me before putting the Xpel film on tomorrow, pretty good for a weeks drive acros europe!

Couple of bits I need to get the dealer to look at when I have a minute...

There is a bot of a knock from the steering when on full right hand lock and manoeuvring at slow speed???

The seat belts...have been installed with the belt twisted through one turn so they just need unboltimg and putting back again

The dash is still alll set in kilometres not miles...I have tried changing but can't seem to find where to do it, so they will need to do that, unless someone on here knows?

The volume on the Bluetooth kit even on full volume is to low....am I missing something here?

Got a few jobs to do now ....

Get the PPF on the car
    Install my new mats from Andrew at exoticare
    Install my flag badge on the back that I got from Dermot on here
    Install my Hill engineering dead pedal
    Get a new front number plate although will run most of the time without I think...
    Get a pair of extended panels ordered
    Decide whether I plug the vacuum lines or use the forza controller I have or just leave it...

Some pictures for you....as well..

Also went to my first car gathering in the new car today invited by @Bluebottle to show the cars to a brave little boy who is very very poorly, I still feel a bit guilty and very concious about driving the car back here in the UK, but being able to put a smile on someone's face today helps offset that a little bit.

Regards

Michael

stavura, Melvok and Jonkheer like this.
  24. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Love your garage!
    Where did you get the neon?

25. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Fonias

A friend of mine made the tubes for me and I made the backing boards for them, he does great work , he is based in Hungary but will ship,all over Europe .

Link to his website below

http://www.andesigneon.com/

Regards

Michael

Jonkheer likes this.