Collector sues over LaFerrari Aperta denial | FerrariChat

Collector sues over LaFerrari Aperta denial

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Peloton25, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  2. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Unless its his age, I would've assumed PH would've been near the top of the list in the US to get a LaFerrari Aperta. There's more to this story I'm sure

3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    That's quite the collection he already has. Maybe this is just an "old" guy having a bit of fun. I can't imagine a 75k windfall is the motivation when he refers to 5mil as pocket change:).

4. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I'm interested to see how this unfolds...

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Mr. PH doesn't look like he'll be getting anymore limited Ferraris!

6. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    That is both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Strange that he didn't get one. Very strange. He must've pissed someone off big time.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ferrari probably doesnt see him as a long term revenue stream as sad as it sounds.

He definitely fits the criteria. He tracks all his cars..fxx, daytona spider, f50, enzo and the 275 gtbc that is probably worth as 50 lf aperta.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #10 El Wayne, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    He's not suing for only $75k. The complaint states that the amount in controversy exceeds $75k, the minimum required in order to qualify for federal jurisdiction.

For anyone who's interested, the actual complaint is attached below:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Where's my Suze Orman "Denied!" meme?

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It seems that when you have too much money you run out of ideas about how to spend it.

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    This is so pitiful on so many levels - on the one hand it reeks of entitlement ie its his decision not Ferraris whether he gets a car and on the other it suggests the tantrum of a seven year old who has just been told he's not getting the lead in the school pageant

13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    jealous of his Gulfstream G650

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It has been alleged to me that PH sued SpA over the Corse Clienti program. Or, maybe threatened to sue. Essentially, it was alleged that it was a blank-check, unabashed money grab by the company. 3-day weekends far exceeded $100K USD. Regardless of whether PH sued or not, there was certainly grumbling by a number of owners. I don't know PH personally, so I never heard him say anything negative about it. However, rumors travel in this community. And, if derogatory comments were made, I'd expect SpA to react rather coolly. If this is at all true, I think that could have been the nail in the coffin for PH. This, however, may be a tale of how SpA treats its' customers. Does it have spiteful and vindictive practices and a long memory? Possibly, but I'm not privy to them. They always have more buyers then cars when it comes to their special offerings. So, they must determine how to allocate them, and it's their right to sell to whomsoever they wish. As new markets around the world open up, the allocation to the other markets (including the US) will be reduced, as a result. That's just a fact of life. Is a new Chinese billionaire more important to sell to than PH? In SpA's judgment, I guess maybe.

However, he certainly has a high opinion of himself. If he can't purchase the latest and greatest, his standing within the collecting community has been diminished? To say he's not qualified is defamatory? Well, life's a b*tch. Sorry.

I admit that in the high-end Ferrari collecting universe, there is the potential for a pecking order. I'm not going to throw out names, but I've seen it myself. It's bragging rights. It's ego. It's blue bloods. But, and no disrespect to PH or his collection, but I wouldn't even put it anywhere near the top in terms of quality of value. He's got, arguably, one important car. The rest are cool, but nothing special, IMO.

CW

15. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not sure what to say about the theory in his suit, but I have said many times on this site, I'm not a huge fan of Ferrari extorting it's good customers to buy a car they don't necessary want (eg. an FF or a Cali T) in order to get a "special edition" Ferrari. And if you don't then get that special car, I think you are damn close to having a cause of action against them...and if you are also a shareholder of their publically traded stock, well, I think you are there. I know that's not what he's alleging here, but Ferrari thinks highly of themselves too and if someone can knock them down a few pegs, I may not encourage it, but it is interesting to watch

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    promissory estoppel?

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This was always going to happen when the LFA was announced, a golden opportunity to piss off at least 349 LF owners.

18. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    yeah, but they are a little more cautious and crafty than that. The sales pitch goes something like this, "I know you have a 458, an F12 and 10 plus other Ferraris and have been buying many Ferraris since you could afford them, and I know you REALLY want an LaFerrari and haven't gotten an allocation yet, but if you buy a $355k FF, you will MOST Likely get a LaFerrari" They were careful to say it wasn't guaranteed. On the TdF, I made them guarantee it first before I bought the Cali T. I guess if you know how to play their game, you can make it work.

19. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Even avarice and hubris have a hierarchy.

20. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #21 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I bet Tesla wishes they had never sold that car to the guy who liked to film and post You Tube videos of his car "driving itself." He finally got killed when his Tesla didn't recognize a large tractor trailer cutting in front of him. A show off owner like that they didn't need.
    I think Preston Henn's occupation of swap meet owner is what grinded Ferrari; I think they want Captains of Industry, architects, attorneys, movie stars, not people who make money any old way, hard scrabble guys. Even Gene Casaroll tried to restrict who bought Dual Ghias.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is the swap shop really how PH makes/made enough money to afford a G650 and to turn down $70m for his 275 GTBC Speciale?

23. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm a bit surprised by both ends of this story. I have heard that Henn has been on their "'VIP" list so to speak forever. He owns practically every super Ferrari already.