College Baseball World Series - a two-conference affair | FerrariChat

College Baseball World Series - a two-conference affair

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Gatorrari, Jun 10, 2024 at 9:52 PM.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The strength in college baseball has for years been in the South and the West, and this year is no different, as two conferences have monopolized all eight berths in the College World Series in Omaha.

ACC - Florida State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia
    SEC - Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas A&M

Tennessee is the top seed, but they were taken to three games by, of all people, Evansville! So I think the tournament is wide open.

Texas Forever and bball16 like this.
  2. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Should be a fun tournament to watch. I’ll be pulling for A&M. It’s college baseball so anything could happen

I’ve never been to Omaha but hear it’s a great time. I keep trying to see how I could make it work this year but so far haven’t figured it out

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I find this more exciting than college basketball.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #4 Whisky, Jun 12, 2024 at 12:03 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024 at 12:21 PM
    I have no idea who you are, nor you do I, but if you can make it to Omaha, I have plenty of room.

I'm in west Omaha, a mile west of Boys Town, where they play the games is about 12 miles from me, downtown.

I make this offer to folks here every year, for the CWS, and for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting.

5. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I don't.

With college Baseball, you are soo dependent on a hot pitcher or a hot hitter, when they cool off they are toast.
    UNLESS you have a loaded team like Texas, Miami, Stanford, CSUF in the 80's.

I photographed the CWS for the media from 1981 to the early 90's, I've seen a ton of the best to ever play,
    Clemens, Schiraldi, Swindell, Nevin, Ventura, Incaviglia, Will Clark, Barry Bonds,
    but the game changed in the 90's, and then they changed the venue to a brand-new stadium, but I just kinda
    got tired of it, it just wasn't the same, especially from the 'media' perspective.

Back then, we'd shoot the game, and then we'd get 2-3 carloads of out-of-town media guys, mainly
    writers, some other photogs, we'd publish our work and then head to the tittie bars across the
    river in Iowa, or we would meet up at the local horse racing track.

Well, the horse track closed in 1995, and the 'old guard' media was replaced with young dudes, and
    all they wanted to do was run their stories and then crash in their motel rooms.
    The fun was GONE.
    And so was I.

6. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Same as in football - warm weather schools usually rule.
    The only exceptions are OSU, Michigan and Penn State in football once in awhile.

The only 'cold weather' school to win a CWS title in the last 50 years is Oregon State - and they are not that 'cold weather'.
    Before that there was Ohio State in 1964...

7. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    PS - after the first weekend half the crowd is gone, and it's easier to find tickets.

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    That’s a very generous offer and thank you for putting it out there!

I gave up on weekend 1. I figured out the hotel but would only be able to watch A&M’s Saturday game and the flight price ($1300) did not seem worth it.

Of course I have a commitment Friday/Saturday of weekend 2 but if A&M makes it I would run the numbers again for going up for the Sunday game.

I’ll still be watching from my couch though. I’ve enjoyed watching all the regional/super regionals the past couple weeks

9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Fly?
    from Texas?
    Unless you are in El Paso or South Padre Island it is just a long day's drive....