Colonel Ronnie Hoare's E Type | FerrariChat

Colonel Ronnie Hoare's E Type

Discussion in 'British' started by guyb, Nov 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. guyb

guyb Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some information and perhaps pictures of Colonel Ronnie Hoare, who ran Maranello Concessionaires in the 60's. I own a very early Jaguar E-Type which he bought in 1961 and personally collected from Browns Lane on the same day as HRH The Duke of Kent collected his new E-Type. The Colonel then sold his E-Type to motorbike champion Mike Hailwood who can be seen driving the E-Type to his motorcycle GP meeting in Belgium in 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx4Vi0T5Bko

It would be great to find some images of the Colonel in 1961 with the E-Type (or even just images of the Colonel - I cant seem to find any!) and any help or information would be most appreciated!

Guy

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
  5. guyb

guyb Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Brilliant video!!! Thanks!

6. DJ8612

DJ8612 Rookie

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi there,

I'm Ronnie's grandson and I have loads of photos of him. I'll fish a few out and post them online soon. Most of them are from his army days before he became involved with Ferrari, but I'll see if I can find some later ones.

7. Andreas Hackbarth

Jan 9, 2014
    Dear Sir (DJ8612), with much interest I've read that you are the grandson of Ronnie Hoare.
    For six years now I'm carrying out a research in order to write the biography of Mike Parkes.
    Please be so kind as to let me know how to get in contact with you. Mike's years with the Maranello Concessionaires Team are vital regarding his CV - as was the support of your grandfather to open doors in Maranello. Regards, Andreas

8. guyb

guyb Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi DJ8612!

Glad you've posted on here - I would dearly love to see some pictures of your grandfather. Hope you post here again soon.

Guy

9. JMK1

JMK1 Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

Hello, I bought the de Tomaso Vallelunga which Mr Hoare imported to the UK and fitted with a competition engine. I would very much like to know more about the early history of this car. Is there any way I can get some history of the car with you?

best regards, JMK

10. progressa

progressa Rookie

Oct 22, 2014
    I knew Ronnie Hoare when I was very young - I knew him as the Colonel. I just happened to live in the same apartment block when he was in his last years. An absolute gent, he had all sorts of racing memorabilia in his flat - can't remember much of the details unfortunately except for various bits of silverware and a giant champagne bottle in his hallway - I assumed it must be from some post-race celebration.

What I can remember are the cars that were parked discreetly in the garage beneath the building. A Ferrari Dino, which I never saw being used. I have a vague memory of a Renault 5 Turbo, the kind with the giant wheel arches. Again, I never saw it leave the garage. And I think there may have been a Daytona in there too. Never saw that leave the garage either. But he also had a blue Testarossa from the mid-80s which he would take out quite regularly.

In fact one time he took me in the Testarossa to see his enormous train set, housed in a small commercial building probably a 10 or 15 minute drive away - I couldn't say for sure how big the train set was but to a 7 or 8 year old it seemed to occupy a whole warehouse.

The train set aside, I do remember clearly that he drove at a steady 25mph the whole way. He told me how there were 380bhp sitting directly behind us and I expected him to unleash the beast. Alas, he was a particularly careful driver, and indeed it was a stunning car, wide as a bus and swathed in soft leather inside, just the gentle click-click of the gear box. On the way back we were trailed by a line of cars that probably couldn't see past the width of the Testarossa to pass safely. Finally a white van took the opportunity, the driver and his colleagues yelling at us as they sailed past. "They'll get caught by the speed camera" he said. No idea if there was a speed camera but I do know that Ferrari never got above 25 that day because I had half an eye on the speedo most of the way. Very nice chap though.

davidoloan and of2worlds like this.
  11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    JMK: My index of magazine articles here at home shows nine or ten related to the Vallelunga in general, and three specifically featuring the ex-Colonel Hoare RHD example (SRU 8H). I'm sure there must be others, but if you think any of these might help with your research, send me a message! Jeff / "Miltonian"

12. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I don't know whether you found any pics of the Colonel with your E type. As it happens I was today just looking at the website of the photographer who took the official pics for Maranello Concessionnaires in the 70s

Ferrari by Neill Bruce - Home

If you go to the Catalogue section then the factory visit you will find plenty of pics of the Colonel.

As far as the model railway is concerned, it was an O gauge layout (scale 7mm to the foot) called The Bromford and High Peak Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112hIMKE5lY

It did indeed fill a whole warehouse in Poole, Dorset. In fact an ex colleague of mine in the photo business until recently worked out of the warehouse and the painted scenery was still on the wall.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Has anyone been in touch with either 'DJ8612' or 'progressa' outside of Ferrarichat?

I'd love to hear more of their memories here.

-Ed

prober34 likes this.
  14. brooklands racing

Nov 15, 2014
    Hi there, I have one of your grandfathers old cars ,its a 1951 jaguar xk 120 roadster which was works registered and he took delivery of while he was in the army and i believe he had it in germany with him when he was serving there . i would so much love to find some early pictures of the car or any info you that would be much appreciated
    it still has its original works registration number LRW 747 Kind Regards Rory J

I'm Ronnie's grandson and I have loads of photos of him. I'll fish a few out and post them online soon. Most of them are from his army days before he became involved with Ferrari, but I'll see if I can find some later ones.[/QUOTE]

15. TifosiGB

TifosiGB Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    bob bob
    Here's a picture of the Colonel's Testarossa - The last brand new Ferrari ordered by him from the factory - Ordered in his unique colour Dark Blue Metalic (Not a standard colour), I have never seen another Testarossa in this colour. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Cavalieri and of2worlds like this.
  16. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I own the Colonels Testarossa but have never really loved the colour. It's very non descript and not flattering at all to the lines of the car. Looking at the post above I wonder what colour that 308 is, it looks pretty nice.

17. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Il Cavalieri and NEP like this.
  18. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for sharing this, Robert. Is the car in Australia but still on UK plates?

-Ed

19. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    It's been in Oz about eight or nine years. We have a historic plate system for 25 year plus vehicles so it will go over to that when the resto is completed on the car.

20. TifosiGB

TifosiGB Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    bob bob

1 minute in and 2 minutes in... Raced and hillclimbed by Peter English

21. Dcwbh13

Dcwbh13 Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Hi Guy
    I knew Colonel Ronnie Hoare.Not sure if it's of interest to you his later years.
    He was my neighbour directly above my parents Bournemouth apartment 1979 to 1984.He was an absolute gentleman and gave me a memory I will never forget. 26th Feb 1981 my dad died suddenly very young. Naturally the next day I stayed at home. Roswhita Hinz-Hoare came down to see us hearing the news. Next thing I knew Ronnie came down and said right young man let's keep you busy. The next day his chauffeur started up the 400 in its usual Cambridge Blue and pulled it up out of the under ground car park. Ronnie drove me the whole afternoon in the 400 at ( as the other gent Prosser on here said) about 30 mph down the 10 mile spur road, back into Bournemouth to F English Ford where his huge train set was in a large wooden block shed ( in the grounds of F English, now a Tesco car park). I was mesmerized by the day his kindness and generosity. He also had a revolving collection of cars downstairs/Daytona/400/ Renault 5 racing car that never moved and the most recent model usually 1 every six months or so.I still to this day have his book signed to me by Ronnie " The Colenols Ferraris". He would often stop and chat or if rarely in the garden sit with us for chat/drink..His apartment was full of memorabilia. I always would sit by my window when one of the Ferraris would start up downstairs and see which one would girgle up the steep entrance.He rarely brought them out himself,the chauffeur usually would bring them up and sometimes he would change his mind if a journey to London as often was the case. Ronnie was Impeccably dressed always and had a presence I've not seen since. When they would return ( if Rosewhita was travelling with him) bags of shopping would come out of the boot in Harrods bags. He certainly knew how to live a good life to the full!
    Complete charector and gentleman he was very private gentleman. I believe due to Rosewhita not being his wife in those days. I noticed recently she passed away and her full name being Hinz- Hoare they must have eventually marriedand the apartment sold.We moved away in 84 but he kept in touch with my mother yearly on my father's anniversary until just before his own death.
    May be of interest to your info on his letter life.