Color: Blue Danubio | FerrariChat

Color: Blue Danubio

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by inari, Oct 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. inari

inari Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Restoring my Maserati 3500 GT #1676, I would like to paint it the original color "Blue Danubio", (Max Meyer Code 16.446), as quoted by Mr. Fabio Collina from Maserati Classiche. Since I acquired the car painted in gray, there was only a hint of the original color left - a greenish-blue- it seems to me.
    I found the color mentioned in the "Maserati GT factory paint codes" by Ivan, but have no idea how it looks like. Does anyone have a photo of a car painted in this color or can give me a hint? - Horst.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Horst,

It must be a very rare color because not only have I never heard of it -which means it was not in use in the period covered by my book which is a few years after your car was born- but everyone else seems stumped as well. It has to be said some colors proved unpopular through the years and cars were repainted in other shades so in some cases such as this one almost none or none are left in the original livery...

Hoping someone does have photos or some data...

Best regards,

Marc

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Blue Danubio is an interesting colour. If I remember correctly, you'd describe it today as a "petrol colour", or some shade of it.

There is a particular Merak, that was ordered in a one-off colour "Champagne Green" (code by Lesonal). Factory documents have it as a special order from the first owner.

Another such example, is a Ghibli SS, which apparently was ordered in "Bright Pink", as a present for someone's wife.

These little details make classic cars even more interesting and unique...

4. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Horst,

If it proves that difficult to obtain even a picture of a car in that colour, just get an old fender with curves and go to your local Glasurit or RM -using shop, and ask them to paint it for you. BASF will research it if they have no proper formulation already.
    This will not cost an arm and a leg, and will give you a good idea what it will look like on your car.

Best,

Jack.

6. inari

inari Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Thank you all for your helpful advices. I discovered some new spots in the car and will have them scanned to arrive at the proper color formular.
    Horst

7. inari

inari Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Thank you all for your helpful advices. I discovered some new spots in the car and will have them scanned to arrive at the proper color formular.
    Horst

8. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Never heard about, would be very interested to see that !