Color Choice for 365 GT 2+2 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Color Choice for 365 GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by pacpaldoc, Apr 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    #26 daviddavid, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    #27 pacpaldoc, Apr 18, 2009
    David, I really like the color of the 365 California in Blumel's book, and I saw both the 410 Superamerica and the 365 California at the Carmel Show last August. (I was a couple of blocks over, and managed to get a Tiffany plate from the Mayor.) So, we're looking at Rosso Rubino Met, the darker burgandy, and two shades of Amaranto (specified for the 1971 - 73 C/4 and Dino.) We'll have a couple of panels painted and try to make the best choice. As I've noted above, I'm being convinced that darker shades work better on the car, and, despite well-informed advice from a number of folks, including my Pebble Beach Ferrari Judge Advisor, I'm shying away from Dark Blue and Silver: I want to perserve a little of the pizzaz of the Red Shades. I'm leaning toward a subtle metallic in a darker red shade. But, we'll see how things progress.

Here are some snaps of the First Step.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    That sounds pretty scary to me. Do the car for yourself, paint it in a colour you'd like to see it in.

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #29 Ed Niles, Apr 20, 2009
  5. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    That's what I was thinking. There was a champagne 365 for sale not too long ago that I thought looked great, and I think the color would be fantastic on this car.

6. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    You can eliminate 10077 from the equation! It has been changed from the wine red(non metallic) that I did it in, to Ferrari Red. I painted for JB whlie I was at the Nethercutt Collection in about 1980-2. Mike Regalia

7. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    EDIT NOTE: 10077 was originally delivered to Sam Golstein in San Diego and purchased by JB Nethercutt through Tom Barrett in I believe July 1980?, after Sam had past away. It was originally Azzuro Metallizzato with either black/dark blue leather/black top. It had only 17k original miles on it when JB aquired it. Shortly after the aquisition we had a discussion(while at Pebble Beach) about the color it should be. In my naive youthful exuberence( I was 25 and 2 years employed as JB's painter) I told JB the ONLY color it should be is Black! He patiently looked at me and said it was a very beautiful car and that it would look good in many colors, but, the one color it would NEVER be is Black! I learned on that day NEVER to TELL JB what he should do! We went on to paint it the wine red(bordeaux) non metallic color, with a dark tan interior and a tan top(we changed the top later to black). I stayed with JB until shortly after his passing in Dec. 2004, ultimately becoming the collections President. I will forever be gratefull to JB and his wife Dorothy(who passed 2 months before he did) for the enumerable wonderfull expieriences, and an education and show record in cars that few if any will ever have! Regards, Mike Regalia

PS I did get to do my 365 Cal Spyder in Black finally in 1992, allbeit serial #9849 for The Checkered Flag Collection of Bill Kontes

8. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    #34 12659, Apr 26, 2009
    I struggled with this choice as well. My car was delivered to N.O. LOUSIana in ross cine, which is really an orange. I ended up with rosso corse, the 50's variety. It suits the car well, without being
    too "red"

Mark

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Somehow, more than the colour, headlight covers seem to make all the difference to me. Rosso Corsa, or most solid colours, make the front end look unfinished without the covers, whilst with the covers it actually looks quite appealing. Were any of these cars ever factory-fitted with the covers?

10. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    #36 pacpaldoc, Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks again for all the useful and well-informed suggestions.

I'm particularly grateful for Mike Regalia's terrific recollations of working the the Nethercutt's. A great story.

We're well into the preparation stage, and we're addressing the issues that typicall arise with even a very straight and well-maintained car. There are relatively few significant problems, and none that expert body work can't deal with quickly and efficiently. We know that it's going to be a much crisper example when we're done. (And we're keeping an exhaustive photographic record throughout the process.)

In a couple of weeks we'll have sample panels done in a small range of colors, and then we'll be able (with your continuing guidance and advice) to make the best choice.

So, is that a barn find? No, just a picture of progress.