Coming back to NorCal with my Gated F430 Spider | FerrariChat

Coming back to NorCal with my Gated F430 Spider

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by shifter, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My tour of duty in Marlyland building and running a manufacturing plant is almost over and I'm heading back to Silicon Valley in the next year. Before moving to Maryland, my wife and I lived in Los Gatos for several years, and loved it. Looking forward to getting back.

I have an F430 with a 100% stock exhaust and my local club/friends suggest getting aftermarket headers (Fabspeed is less than an hour from me). I have a concern over California Smog though, without any real experience. I've had newer vehicles when I lived there and didn't have to bother with smog tests.

I am keeping the stock cats for sure, but if it's going to be a problem passing the visual with aftermarket headers, then I guess I need to plan to buy stock MKII/s if (when) my present set shows signs of cracking. Of course I'd like the improved power/sound with A/M headers, but more concerned about damaging the engine with pre-cat debris.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom from those of you who live in Ca w/r/t smog and headers on an F430?

Thank you,
    Joe

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My view is if you can pass the sniff (C02) test, you can find someone to issue a cert. I would have a tough time believing a smog tech could identify a stock 430 exhaust manifold over an aftermarket one, but you can get the occasion militant one. I've driven cars and trucks with modified exhaust (though don't own one now) and never had an issue. GL

doltond likes this.
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have an F430 with Fabspeed headers. I also have the Fabspeed O2 extenders with mini cats, plus running OEM catalytic converter and exhaust. No CEL. Unless the tech knows exactly what to look for, visual inspection should be ok (as said above).

doltond likes this.
  4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    #4 obbob, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Visual inspection on most exotic cars is a bit of a wash. By definition, the smog station is supposed to confirm that there are CARB certifications stamped on all the exhaust parts. However, you can’t see the vast majority of the exhaust on mid engine Ferrari without removing the rear body work.

Most techs are reasonable and will just pass the visual regardless, but occasionally you’ll get a guy who only wants to follow the book to the letter and demand he’ll only pass you if you pay to have your bumper removed just so he can take 5 seconds to peek at your exhaust. Just ignore those guys and find another station, but make sure that they do not enter a “failed inspection” into the DMV system.

5. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you for the feedback. I’ll test the waters with my daily drivers first and perhaps ask the local club members for recommendations for places to go that tend to be more friendly

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Ascertain from the manufactureer if the parts have a CARB certification, which would make them legal in California.

7. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes, that would be great but I’m not aware of any AM manifolds that are Carb certified or I’d buy them. Manifolds are my only non-stock exhaust parts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat