Coming to Dubai for Business. Helpful hints? | FerrariChat

Coming to Dubai for Business. Helpful hints?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by CornersWell, Nov 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    All,

It's been over 10 years since I've travelled to Dubai, but I have a business interview for a Saudi firm that will happen in Dubai next week. As these gentlemen are Saudi (and English), I was wondering if there were any particularly good resources I could be directed to regarding protocol and customs. I will be meeting with senior level executives, and I'd prefer not to make any inadvertent gaffes. Obviously, there's not enough time to learn the Arabic language, but I do pick up languages fairly quickly, so I might try to throw in a few phrases to show my eagerness to assimilate.

I've consulted numerous online resources and a few books, but nothing more than the obvious (don't do anything with the left hand, oscillate the coffee/tea cup when finished, don't seem impatient, etc.). I was wondering if any of you could suggest any other useful resources for educating me on Saudi customs.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

CW

2. Harris

Harris Rookie

Jul 30, 2006
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Harris
    I don't mean to be rude, but when I am with English or European colleagues, I find it downright embarrassing when they try on their clumsy Arabic phrases. It just sounds ridiculous. Dubai is a progressive, cosmopolitan society with modern business practices and a commercially dynamic environment. The lingua franca of business is English so just be yourself. You will be fine.

The fact that they are Saudi should not matter, especially as you are meeting them in Dubai.

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I agree with Harris. They are interested in you because you are western, not eastern. I worked in Saudi and they prefer you are not like them! Just be easy going but do not get into politics! And Im a muslim telling you that! Good luck.

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Agreed, regarding stumbling through the language and staying off politics. My principal concerns are regarding addressing superiors and basic things I just don't know (for example, I didn't know about the coffee cups until I read it). I also agree that the reason they are interested in me is because I have certain knowledge of the way the financial system works here in the US. I am by nature respectful and formal, and I believe that respect and showing an effort go a long way in all cultures. I've been granted audiences with Qatar Royalty before and didn't make any offensive blunders. But, of course, if I did, no one would comment. I just don't want to be the American that offers his left hand! I'm just asking, and if there's nothing beyond basic business etiquette, so be it.

Thanks,

CW

5. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    +2

6. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    20 years in Dubai, The guys are above are correct only missing one thing.

DOOO not bring your wife. The reasons are endless

7. notiguy

notiguy Karting

Sep 30, 2006
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    PomPomPa
    Thank goodness I've seen this thread. Will be venturing into the Dubai market from tomorrow onwards and all these useful tips does come in handy. Will be in the jewellery market, and heard from my counterpart that certain of our company's existing clients are avid ferrari fans.

Are there anyone here in the jewellery business? Will be visiting GOLD SOUQ for the first time on tuesday..