Coming to Hawaii | FerrariChat

Coming to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by gil308, Mar 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Coming to Hawaii for my honeymoon in a couple weeks...Maui, Hawaii, Oahu.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go for:
    1) Luau
    2) Surf Lessons (we've never been on a board)
    3) Whale Watch Boat

We also want to snorkel...

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

2. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    Where are you staying in Maui. If you are on the Kaanapali side, then I can make a few recommendations.

3. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks Gerald...staying at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa...

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you're going to do surf lessons in Waikiki, which is recommended, I dont think you can go wrong with the ones that operate right there off the sand. They are living the life and will make sure you have a good time. Maybe pick the biggest Hawaiian dude you can see since he will be the one telling the other tourists to get out of your way if it's overly crowded. Good fun, enjoy that experience, its a great place to learn. Then if you get the hang of it you can rent a board from the same guys for practice later on in your trip.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you ride horses there is a great trail that you can take to the bottom of the volcano. We set it up through the hotel and we met a guide at the top of the volcano and he led us on horseback down to the bottom where they had a picnic lunch waiting. Quietest place I have ever been. Whole thing was 1/2 day and was great. That was on Maui.

6. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I will say that there is no better place to learn, and no better place to find world class instructors for beginner surfers, than Waikiki Beach. Hit any of the stands at Queens Beach behind the statue of the Duke. Or ask around and see if Rabbit Kekai is still giving lessons. If you can get a lesson from Rabbit, it would be worth what ever he asks, but being 92 years old, not sure if he is still teaching or not.

7. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    Luau--I am not a big fan to the Luau but, without a doubt, the Old Lahaina Luau gets the vote as the best there is. 808 667-2998 at 1251 Front Street

Whale Watching---Captain Steve's 808 667-5565 Operates out of Mala Wharf which is only about 5-8 minutes from the Hyatt. We went last month and it was great. We did a short(2 hour) trip which was more than enough.

Boating activities---like snorkeling, trip to Lanai, etc. Use Trilogy Excursions. 888 225-6284 Run a great operation and reasonable. You can also just snorkel at Black Rock which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Hyatt.

Zip-lining---My children(all grown now) love this. Available locally and on the other side of island. Both were good. I can get names if this interests you.

8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I stayed at the Kaanapali Hyatt in January for a conference. My favorite hotels on Maui are the Grand Wailea and Ritz Kapalua, but the Hyatt is not bad. The service was excellent, you can try Japengo if you are into Asian fusion cuisine. My favorite restaurant is Mama's Fish House, ask any local.

Surf lessons off Waiks is the best for novices. There's minimal reef, the paddle is easy, there are numerous takeoff spots. Really, the worst hazard is running into other beginner surfers. If you look out at the ocean towards the left, Baby Queen's is a less-crowded break and if you look off to the right, Pops is a better wave but a longer paddle and often is more crowded with more competent surfers than Queen's. Just look for the Duke Kahanomoku statue and you are in the right vicinity.

9. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks guys...now I'm worried the water will be too cold! 76ish...I don't get in my pool until it's 83!!

Swam with the Dolphins in FL...water was 74...brrrrrrrr