Comments on New Board | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Comments on New Board

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bart, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    So far so good. Lot's of neat little features and gadgets. I love it!

2. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Many more features. Very useable. good job Rob!!

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "However, as you might guess, I too look forward to the Stradale version (of anything, this board included)."

Brian, Brian, Brian ... the Stradale Board would be a pretend Board, a bastardized hybrid version of the old pure Board and the new Board, a tarted up version of the new Board cynically designed to boost hits and appease sponsors. Everyone knows Rob doesn't care about ordinary street users. If he sold a Stradale Board, he'd just try to sell us on the not yet ready for prime time carbon ceramic interface: unstable, expensive to maintain and no better than the good old iron interface.

I may sell my username, I'm getting fed up with the whole FerrariChat experience.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Rob, I'd like to see Avatars, maybe sigs if people want them. I'd like to have it a lot easier to upload images. Thanks

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    :mad: I don't want to be your friend anymore. You insulted Stradale! :(

[ head dropped, sulks away ... :( ]

6. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I see we start all over here ! what happends to the old site?

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Arie,

The link to the old site is at the bottom of the homepage, all archived.

Barry

8. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Yes, it does - but if you click on the arrow next to the title of the thread, it will take you to the beginning of any new posts.

The arrow next to the last poster's name will take you to the last post in the thread.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, FC is getting fed up with you. Only want people here that respect that I always try to do the best for the community and users that actually want to be here.

10. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    LOOKS LIKE A GREAT NEW SITE TOO!

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Rob - Good grief, you're scaring me, I hope you know I'm kidding? Perhaps I should have used more smilies? It's hard to believe what you've accomplished in even the short time I've been hanging around FerrariChat. This is my favorite site, period.

Brian - Sort of chuckle when I read the Stradale criticisms, can't wait for mine to arrive.

WCH (f/k/a Will 575)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sorry, I didn't know you were kidding. I'm a little sensitive right now. 4 hours sleep since starting the turnover 3pm yesterday. I've had a couple posts and emails that tweaked me, but I always focus on the 1%. :)

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Rob, you're right: my post didn't offer you much. Sorry--I was heading out the door.

Here are my details, for what they're worth. While there are a lot of additional options in the new system, it seems more cumbersome (to me) to navigate them just to make a post. Perhaps that is due to familiarity with the old system...but, as an old 42 year old fuddy-dud, I like things simple & easy, and tend to avoid complexity for the sake of it. I will probably not be in the 1% of sophisticated users who can/will utilize all that you have added.

In addition, frankly, having all these choices on each page--all these icons, symbols, etc--is confusing to me. Again, I am relatively unsophisticated WRT up-to-the-minute online technology, so I'm sure that is what is talking...but the new format is simply visually overwhelming (to me).

All of that said, please take these comments in the spirit in which they were intended: not criticism for the sake of whining, but rather my gut-level initial sense of the new site (as a rather prolific veteran of the last one) in answer to the Subject Line of this thread.

Best,

Dave

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Please accept both my apologies for any confusion, and my compliments on the new Board!

Cheers, Will

15. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Rob, the new board looks great. More complicated to be sure, but I'm certain I'll get the hang of it.

16. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Rob - Thanks for all the hard work and the new site - I appreciate it. As with anything new, initially it will seem unfamiliar and some people may not like it. However, as we get used to it, I am convinced it will be a far more useable site. There are already many features that I find neat. My only current gripe is I liked the 2 names from before. It made it easier to know who was who. I also have not figured out how to edit my profile, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying. Thanks again for everything - it does not go unnoticed.

17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I like this new board. It has that "Empire Strikes Back" Death Star feel to it. This forts cold grey walls are ultra-modern and impressive.

I guess now... looking back the old F-chat, It had that Bart Simpson friendly yellow feel, and sloppy lines.

I like both :D
    Good job Rob

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I miss the colors of the old board. I loved the yellow boarders. This board has a lot of pluses though. But, I miss the pictures like the old board had. Good job Rob in a week noone will be thinking of this board as new.
    Erik

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The new board allows you to pick your own design. Right now there are only four choices... gray/gray, red/yellow, gray/red, gray/yellow. You can select your personal settings from User CP - Options.

I'll add some better combos in the future.

I think a good way to describe the new board is 5 times the functionality for twice the headache. As you get use to it hopefully it's easy to ignore what you don't want. I think the headache will go away, but the functionality will still be there.

Another reason we switched which is maybe the most important and mostly transparent to users is that the old board was busting at the seams and couldn't handle the traffic. How many times did you get "file locking" type errors? That would start happening more and more. The new board is 100% database driven and could easily handle 100k users if we wanted. I was one of the largest communities by far on discusware, vB has hundreds of communities with 10k+ users.

WCH likes this.
  20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Nice work Rob. I changed my Options to show red/yellow. Looks almost just like the old board. I feel right at home the yellow makes it appear more positive.
    Erik

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Rob, how come when I post pics all I see is a tiny box with green, blue, & red symbols ? How can I get the photo to appear ? & I cant see many other photos, just those little annoying symbols. Also how can I update my profile ? I hit USER OPTIONS on the profile page but I'm told I cant access that. Is it just a glitch ? thanks

22. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

So far the only negative things I notice are an oversized FC logo at the header.... and that this site runs painfully SLOW. I use broadband and participate in several vBulletin forum, none of which are this slow.

That being said, I appreciate all the hard work Rob has invested in our entire FC community!

23. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Well, It will take some time to get used to it.

Not too many complaints but it does seem to be slow when going to thread to thread and posting replies.

Don't like the thumbnails.