comments on this 456 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

comments on this 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tacoz4sale, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I love 456, not in yellow. TDF blue for me.

2. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    lol, ok so let me get this straight:

If you say you like the color red more than the color green, and I say I like the color green more than the color red, does that make me ignorant too?

It's subjective, just like art. In this particular case however it's not subjective, you're just flat out wrong, or blind, or both. :)

Therefore, you judging my taste in F-cars is like Christopher Reeve judging a dance contest. No relevance.

3. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    What's the difference between dated and classic?

308 - classic
    Delorean - dated
    250GTE - classic
    Esprit - dated
    365GTC/4 - classic
    NSX - dated (not to mention impotent too...)
    456 (in 10 years) - CLASSIC!
    Countach - dated
    612 - (in 20 years) - my $$ on classic...
    Gallardo/Diablo/Murci (in 20 years) - my $$ on dated...

Curves = less striking at first, but classic down the road. Angles look great for a very short time... then DATED! Truthfully I'm worried about the Enzo over the long haul....

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, not to sure this model has fully reached classic status yet. Appears to be working its way there though. Most magazines (poor reference maybe?) consider it to be a miss, and thus a bargain.

I personally agree though that the 456 will be a classic, but like all 4 seaters it will take a very long time.

As for the 250 2+2 GTE's being classics I think that is because of their age and the '250' part. Many are considered parts cars, especially the 4 headlight model.

Thus in conclusion the 4 seater Ferraris have never made the classic ranks strongly like the more sportier models. It makes you wonder why Ferrari bother making them ... ?, especially now they have Maserati and thus you can get the other 2 doors as well!

Pete

5. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Gee, so no F-car is dated to you, that's a shocker! Wow! You're not just a teensy tiny bit biased towards Ferrari are you? That couldn't possibly be distorting your vision right?

And I didn't see your Mondial on that list, I suppose it's "classic" as well right? I mean no one would choose an Esprit or an NSX over a Mondial based on looks alone would they...LOL wake up guy.

6. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Mako 456 will be my third current owned F-car soon. So be quiet,

7. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Hey good for you, seriously. If the fat chick at the bar is the one you want to take home, and are most happy with, I see nothing wrong with that. You've inspired me, maybe I'll call the 456 the "Shallow Hal" from now on, which will go along with the "Supra 550" nickname for the Maranello. :)

All kidding aside, you'll probably get a great deal on that 456 and if that makes you happy then who cares what I or anyone else thinks?

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

Hey, man, I don´t agree with all things that Luca Montezemolo (Montezuma??!!) had done, but he has achieved great things (wins in F-1, return of GT racing, the F355...). He also was the sporting director in the mid 70´s, when Niki Lauda was world champ. Ferrari owes a lot to this man.

9. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    You're entitled to your opinion about looks, however, correct me if I'm wrong, the way you slammed the 456 saying that:Curse Ferrari for ever greenlighting poser cars like the 456 series, says that you do not like/accept the cars dynamics,chassis characteristics,handling, engine etc. In which case if that is true then you are ignorant. the 456 is/was one of the finest GTs ever made. If I am mistaken and you were only talking about the looks, then this is entirely subjective(and not as you ignorantly suggest above) and I apologise.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    What ever you do don't buy one with an automatic. If that box goes it's 56k IF you can find one. (Not including labor)

11. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Who made that tranny? Why is it so brutally expensive?

That means there will be many 456 parts cars out there in the coming years...

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    $56k for a slushbox???? I didn't know it was made out of platinum. Geeez.

13. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    This gets better and better. What a GREAT car.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mike Sheehan wrote a very good article about 456's in SCM. He pointed out that the Co that made the Auto Box stopped making them and won't make them anymore. The 56K was IF you could find one. I know him and find his articles very interesting. This is another reason if you want one to buy one,to pay up and buy one from a dealer and also buy an extended warrantee. These later cars esp. with electronics, F1 boxes,GTA boxes and the price increases that are coming will IMHO become very expensive to maintain. I think Ferrari realizes this and that is why they're starting to offer extended warrantee's out to 12 years.

15. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Do you have more info on that article? I would like to find/read it.

Must admit, I love the 456 and would like to own one. 6-speed of course - even before reading this thread...

I have never driven one, but I have to believe it's like a 4-seat 550. Or at least close enough for me...

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting ... makes you wonder about the secondhand market for 360 FI's, or 550s with this feature. Man I would not touch a old secondhand one!, Italians have enough trouble making the A/C work for 5 minutes let alone that sort of complicated electronics.

Pete