Common water irrigation timers...1 yr life? | FerrariChat

Common water irrigation timers...1 yr life?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 11506apollo, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Not really a “technology” question but where else to post this?
    Every year I have to replace the timers I use for irrigation to some flower gardens in our back yard. I buy them at lowes, H depot , ACE and similar stores. They rarely last past one year. Is not a battery issue. Its a cheap plastic parts issue. Im tired. Are you folks aware of a brand that will last a few seasons? I typically pay between $35 and $45 each. I would gladly pay more if they were to last longer.
    No , I dont want a professionally installed irrigation system. Just a reliable timer I can hook up to my water bib outside the house and program to turn on daily at 6 am for 15 minutes. Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hmm... a need for some failure analysis.

Anyway, my wife has one for her tomato garden and it's been working for a couple of years at least. She bought it off of Amazon. I'll check the manufacturer tomorrow.

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Please do! Thanks!

4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
  5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Out of curiosity, what is failing? Does the plastic just get brittle and fall apart?

I've had success with Rainbird and I believe Melnor. FWIW, at my grandparents old place we used a Rainbird brand timer to trigger the pumps that would bring water from the headgate into the yard for flood irrigation. I know that particular timer sat on a south facing (full sun) shed that would have to endure temps from below zero in the winter to above 100 in the summer, all with almost no humidity. It has lasted 7+ years now.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    what typically fails is the internal valve which starts to leak and doesn't seal completely.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    11506apollo likes this.
  9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Ive been using Orbit timers for decades, we have to water year round and they seem to hold up the best and you can size them for how many valves/stations you have also

10. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Hmm. Just bought that model for the tomatoes at the beach. Was gonna build it a lil "birdhouse" out of cedar to keep it out of the sun/salt.

Now I may just toss a piece of weedguard fabric over it.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I've never gotten more than about 18 months from them. I've gone through probably 5 or 6 different versions/manufacturers.

I use them in places where the in-ground system doesn't reach, and it seems like at any price point, they're all somewhat life-limited/disposable. When they work, they're easy and convenient. When they crack, break, leak, or the electronics die, they are quite annoying.

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our first house in Memphis had a Rain
    Our first house in Texas had a Rainbird. We lived there 2 years, house was abt 10 yrs old when we purchased. Never gave my wife a lick of trouble. Now she has some dude with a garden hose (me!), reasonably dependable, and with a much lower water bill. :)
    T

13. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does she have you on a timer? :)

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas