"Comp Daytona" at Sheehans.... | FerrariChat

"Comp Daytona" at Sheehans....

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tritone, Mar 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    How is this car eligible for the Historic Challenge? This is not a legitimate factory-built Comp Daytona. This is the equivalent of emena/amenasce's BBLM.

Nicely done, though, and there's nothing wrong with it not being a factory Comp Daytona.

493 bhp! That motor's got to be wound pretty tightly. Grenade with the pin pulled? I'd also be kind of curious to know what kind of fuel they used on the dyno run. I've seen a couple of Carobu's runs. They are legit, but they use super high octane (like 114+). Very trick race fuel gives great numbers, but it's unlikely that you'd run the races on fuel that high in octane.

CW

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    id like to know how it ran in the ferrari challenge ? i doubt this car is elligible by itself..probably a VIP owner.

4. XJARGH!

XJARGH! Rookie

Feb 29, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why would anyone put crappy FRAM oil filters on that caliber of engine?

If this is an ignorant question, please enlighten me.

Everything I have ever read about FRAM oil filters has been absolutely negative.

My source is countless experiences detailed at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

5. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    When cars like the Daytona were built, they were homologated for racing. Any owner of a stock Daytona could modify it according the the homolgation papers and go racing. You didn't need to purchase a comp Daytona from Ferrari. Heck, Chinetti entered a pretty close to stock production car that finished fifth overall in 1971 (if my memory hasn't gone with the rest of me). So, if you fast forward to today, as long as you start with a real Daytona, you're good to go.

Now, how Ferrari determines how far one can go in the Challenge Series, witness the BBLMs, from what was available during the period is anyone's guess.

Steve

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  7. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    have you pic's ?????

8. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    +1

Seems cheap too given our current exchange rate

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Steve,

It's my understanding that any car, as long as it has a period racing history OR is a legitimate factory-built race car, can be considered for the Historic Challenge. In this case, the car has none and isn't. There is precedent for cars like this to run in the Historic Challenge (see emena/amenasce's car), but that was a very special situation. The car was also run in exhibition and no points accrued.

I'm surprised to see another "special sit" car.

CW

P.S. Gregmour, I'm sure Andrew has plenty of pictures to post up. When I originally looked at their car, I had a sizable stack of photos of it. However, I don't know where they are.

P.P.S. I'd be interested in knowing what the Classiche department thinks of this!

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I know that poking fun at dealers is unfair sport, but I can't resist here.

The second car (13851) has the wrong engine. It belongs in a much later car.

The description for the 3rd car is hilarious. "transmission and back axle have been carefully checked with the axle being fitted with a limited-slip differential". Wow, what a thorough conversion that was. :)

11. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    If you retarded the timing and ran it on 100octane, you're probably back to 450hp, which would not unduly stress a Daytona engine. My car makes around 400hp and its completely docile.

I've had a Group 4 Stratos which made 300hp on 98octane from 2.4 litres. It was peaky, but it happily revved to 10,000 and stayed in one piece.

12. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I'm not very experienced in this type of car, but I have to admit, it hits all of my "hot buttons".
    It is a street legal competition alloy car.
    And it is a GTB/4 Daytona Coupe/Berlinetta (which is, by definition, "one of these days I'll have to buy one" models).
    And the final enticing aspect, is that it is priced in the price range that mere mortals can spend. (that is, under $500k).

I guess, the alternatives (for more money) are the F40 and 288 GTO.
    My question, for the more knowledgeable/experienced people on the forum, is: What is the better buy (this year)?
    I currently own a 2006 F430 F1 and feel that I am approaching the time where its value is quickly transitioning from "over new MSRP" to fairly steep depreciation.

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I personnaly adore the daytona and dream of a Competizione to drive around in the Tour Auto in France on the small country roads but if you are going to have one Ferrari , i dont think it would be the better choice , esp not in the US where its exhaust would probably get you stopped every 2 miles or hated by your whole neighborhood..but what a fine way to go get a hot chocolate on saturday morning !

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

I got the impression from Michael Sheehan's email that this is his own car, but I could be mistaken. In any case, I'd love to have it...a chance to do some hairy-chested historic racing for relatively modest money (but still more than I have!).

Jack.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, this is Mike's own car. He drove it in the Historic Challenge series. It was, as he likes to put it, a divorce present to himself.

16. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Thought so too. Looks like he bought himself something nice after a "life event".

<<2004, 07 Dec., to Mike Sheehan as a “Divorce present” to M. Sheehan>>

17. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Mike also brought the car to the Concorso Arizona 2005. While it may never have "turned a wheel in anger" outside club and vintage events, it seems like an attractive low cost entry into the Ferrari Historic Challenge series if that is one's objective.

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    A friendly word of advice: check with the Historic Challenge people before buying it if you are buying it to run in the series. At least one other person bought with a car with the intention of running it in the Challenge and was told the car was not eligible. Even though it had run in prior events.

CW

19. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    This is the first year that Ferrari is enforcing the Classiche Certification to run in the Historic Challenge, but I'm sure that there will $ALWAYS$ be exceptions...

20. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #21 targanero, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It is true that this year is the first year of the Classiche certification requirement. However, the official rules have always been as I stated: in-period racing history OR factory-built race cars. There are one or two cars that I am aware of that were neither. And, I'm told I'm wrong about one of them. As interest in and turnout at the Historic Challenge has dipped at times, I think there was an occasional willingness to let in cars that wouldn't be let in during the more heady times. This was done to fill the grid. You can't very well have a race with 8 cars. Unless, of course, you're Formula 1! Also, as pointed out, these requirements were overlooked for a few select owners (they all own significant, legitimate cars, though).

Anyway, the Classiche certification will be proven to be the farce it already is when some of these cars go through the review process.

The important thing is whether this car's s/n has any in-period racing history. I can't imagine how it could given that the mods were made long after the useful racing career. That said, you can very easily run this car in HSR, VSRA or other historic and vintage events. It's a cool car. I'm sure it sounds sublime. It gathers attention and looks good. It's reasonably fast. I'm not sure how I feel about the price, but whatever it is, it ought to bring a smile to the buyer's face when he drives it.

CW

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto. It's a sad joke that this car is allowed to run in the Historic Challange.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Any idea how much the second car is worth ?

24. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If it comes down to either letting other cars in or ending the series, I think everyone would agree that letting certain cars in isn't going to be the end of the world. As these cars get older and the people tied to the time period begin to dwindle the interest in the series will certainly trail off. I'm talking about 20+ years down the road.