Completely Dead Battery? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Completely Dead Battery?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by MedinaCustomClassics, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Is your after market stereo constantly drawing power? Glad you got it fired up. The dealer should be able to tell you if you have a current draw.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FFs eat batteries. think ive been through at least 3 in 7 years. yes your stereo cld be sucking the juice out for sure.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I guess another way to possibly open the fuel door with the engine running will be to pull the side panel inside the trunk and release the fuel door, as detailed in the manual. Of course, I haven't tried that and hopefully doing so will not cause the computer to throw out all kinds of crazy codes. Another way is to open the fuel door before starting the engine...but who has time to remember all those little things when something major is going on...

MedinaCustomClassics likes this.
  4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I had aftermarket audio amps years ago in a Maserati.

The battery kept going flat. It turned out one the of amps was faulty. They had a built current sense circuit which was designed to switch the amps on and off as they sensed audio coming from the infotainment unit.

It turned out the amp wasn't powering down as it should (after a few minutes of no audio) and hence a very high standby current drain.

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Anything final verdict on the cause?

of2worlds likes this.
  6. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    My FF is still at the dealership, but once I know the outcome I'll let everyone know.

7. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Sounds like they may be drawing power even with the ignition off which could be compounding the issues

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hopefully you have your FF back in your garage now and not their garage, still? Any word since November 3rd ???

9. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    OK, yesterday my FF went completely dead. The battery is really dead. Ferrari Roadside came out and we were able to jump the car, but couldn't drive it more than half a block and it died. Rather dangerous actually. Had to jump it again and leave the jumper battery on the car while I put it back in the parking lot. I had bought another battery but getting the old one out is quite a chore. It's a really tight fit even when taking off all the moldings and fairings. Decided to leave it to the dealer. Flatbed it tomorrow to dealer. Ugh.

I think everyone should consider changing the battery every 3 yrs or so. I'm going to.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Haven't gotten mine back from the dealer yet of2worlds.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    unfort as driveable as an FF is it definitely suffers from having to spend weeks at the dealer for stuff

of2worlds likes this.
  12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That's scary to have the battery completely die while driving. I thought once the engine is running at least the engine will stay on.
    That's scary to have the engine die while driving. I thought once the engine is on at least it will stay on. Gosh, I can't imagine having to change the battery in the parking lot...it was already quite a hell for me changing it in my own garage.

What battery did you buy? So is the dealer putting in the new battery you had bought? Hopefully you are not letting them put in another new sub-par red-top oem Odyssey battery. It will truly defeat the purpose of getting a new battery because the oem battery is just gonna die on you again without warning and leave you stranded. Worse, if it happens again when driving like it did, you might be in grave danger again.

13. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, it is dangerous when the battery is so low the car can't function and dies. I bought an Interstate battery MTX-49-8H for about $200. And had them install it for me. They wanted to charge me $600 for the Odyssey battery. As I've said before, I'm going to change the batter about every 3 yrs. They can last longer obviously, but who wants to be stranded. Luckily, I was close to home. Batteries always die sooner or later. So cheap insurance. I just wish it were easier to get the battery in and out of the FF. Dumb Italian design!

The tow truck driver told me that once an owner jumped his Ferrari and started driving on the highway only to have it die and have to wait 2 hours for Ferrari roadside to get someone there. And created a huge traffic jam on a major freeway... So it can happen.

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That's the same Interstate battery model I got.

15. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Ok, update time. I picked up my FF today and took it to the place that did the aftermarket sound system and subwoofers. They had the amp set up so that stayed on with the key in the off position, not sure why, they said something about being able to listen to music if the car was off and I was sitting somewhere (i.e. like on a ferry or in a parking lot waiting for my wife, etc.). So they disabled that function. Hopefully that takes care of it. If not, "I'll be back". Thanks for everyone's input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The reason that the rear hatch, fuel door and window drop didn't work is that those systems need to be initialized every time after battery power is lost (dead or disconnected battery). To initialize the rear hatch and fuel door release, you have to lock and unlock the car with the alarm remote. To intialize the power windows you must lower the window all the way to the bottom and then hold the button for another second or so and then raise the window to the top and then hold in the up position for a couple of seconds.

17. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Great to know Motob, thanks!

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you Brian Brown!
    That should be a 'sticky' at the top of the section. Save a lot of grief going to the Ferrari dealer and leaving the vehicle behind for who knows how long....