Completing I/M Drive Cycle F430 | FerrariChat

Completing I/M Drive Cycle F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Metastable, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#1 Metastable, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    This is how I completed my drive cycle, allowing me to pass smog.

- Dealership did a service campaign on the ECU….. my guess is this reset the ECU’s drive cycle.
    - Failed smog showing Catalyst and Evap not complete. Note - Evap does not need to be complete to pass smog.
    - Told to go on a long drive. Went up and down the Tujungas …. Over 200 miles….. same incomplete cycle.
    - Bought OBD2 scan tool from Wally World after striking out at Pep Boys. Autel AutoLink AL319
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Autel-AutoLink-AL319-OBD2-Scanner-Car-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-Automotive-Engine-Fault-CAN-Scan-Tool/168932539?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2926&&adid=22222222227054332295&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=155009547053&wl4=pla-264280088302&wl5=9031558&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113506307&wl11=online&wl12=168932539&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr4yH4uSC8wIVkRh9Ch0-YgWaEAQYASABEgK7BvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- followed this drive cycle: https://www.justanswer.com/car/67aot-let-battery-go-dead-2006-f430-started.html
    OBD2 drive cycle to set the OBD2 monitors to readiness is condition based, not mileage based.

This is drive cycle to perform. Must be done twice on consectutive days and done as exactly as described:

NOTE: In the final phase of Drive Cycle, it will be necessary to find a straight piece of road to ensure that:
    -The speed does not drop BELOW 35mph
    -No traffic conditions are encountered which will force the vehicle to stop
    -No excessive use of throttle is used to maintain the 35mph
    -Lifting off the throttle completely is NOT required.

-Switch ignition on for 30 seconds
    -Check with diagnostics for DTC’s
    -Ensure engine coolant temperature is less than 60C/140F
    -Start engine
    -Allow engine to idle for 2 minutes
    -2 light accelerations (0 to 35mph with light pedal pressure)
    -2 medium accelerations (0 to 45mph with moderate pedal pressure)
    -2 hard accelerations (0 to 55mph with heavy pedal pressure)
    -60mph cruise for 5 minutes
    -50mph cruise for 5 minutes
    -35mph cruise for 5 minutes
    -Engine idle for 2 minutes
    -Check with diagnostics for DTC’s

NOTE!!!! I read elsewhere to make sure you DO NOT - 1) Turn the car off in middle of drive cycle AND 2) Do not use air conditioner.

- Anyway I just left the OBD2 scanner plugged in on the second step and proceeded to do the remaining steps with the OBD2 plugged in.
    - Brought my kid out with his watch and proceeded to knock off the different steps at night 8ish. The accelerations were easy. Although we did them is the sequence given, there were times between those accelerations where we had to alter the speeds. This did not seem to affect the drive cycle. When we were stopped at a light we would try to do the next step. Sometimes we had to wait a little before the folks in front built a little gap.
    - 60 mph on the highway was ok…. But 50 would have been dangerous. We took a beach side road, but ran out of road around the 3 minute mark…. U-turned and went the other way, then back again. Then the dreaded 35 mph cruise…… I kept it at 37mph to make sure we did not drop below 35mph…. Critical on this last step. About 3 minutes into the 35 mph cruise we completed the Catalyst drive cycle. You get a different beep.
    - the Evap never cleared, but that is ok and the F430 passed smog.
    - Note the OBD2 scanner keeps beeping every few seconds as it checks the cycles while you drive, so you might find it annoying.
    - Note we completed the drive cycle on the first day, so a second drive cycle was not required.

911&F430 and VAF84 like this.
  2. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    This was very helpful. It cleared the catalyst code but not the evap, just like in your experience. Hopefully it will pass emissions testing now. Thank you for sharing.

3. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I did more F430 drive cycles than I can remember and I don't recall them ever needing anything this long or complicated - is this a California thing? Either way, glad it worked!

4. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Atlanta area emissions testing for me. I think in GA only vehicles registered in urban areas are required to have emissions testing when renewing the annual registration.

rampante550 likes this.
  5. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    And it takes a long time to complete the entire drive cycle b/c you have to find the right road and traffic conditions for each task. So you have to drive to one area to do one task and then to another area for a different task. For example, the 60 mph cruise for 5 minutes seems like it should be a piece of cake late on a Saturday afternoon on the highway. About 3.5 minutes in, all of a sudden there is construction traffic. We had to get off the highway, drive around the construction and start all over again.

VAF84 likes this.
  6. Metastable

Did you pass smog? In Cali you do not need the Evap to pass.

Also I am curious - did your codes clear on the first cycle like mine, or did you have to do a second cycle the next day?

7. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    The catalyst code cleared on the first cycle, just like in your experience.

I haven't had a chance to take it for emissions testing yet but hopefully I can in the next day or two. On the OBD II scan tool that I used there is an earlier screen that showed the number of incompletes as 1. Then when I went further into the data it showed the cat and evap as incomplete. After the cat cleared it showed 0 incompletes on that earlier screen. Maybe the evap isn't counted for I/M testing.

8. Metastable

Thanks for the info.

9. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    I took it today after work and it passed. Thank you again for taking the time to share this information. It was very helpful!

10. Metastable

You’re welcome. Glad the info was able to help someone.