Compomotive TS wheels Vs Factory 16'wheels,fair price? | FerrariChat

Compomotive TS wheels Vs Factory 16'wheels,fair price?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Grim Reaper tr, Dec 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Hi all,

15 years ago I acquired a set of Compomotive TS wheels (16x7 and 16x8) to suit a 308.

After a long search lasting several years I was lucky enough to find brand new outer barrels for them. The wheels were disassembled with the plan being to repaint the centres and reassemble and fit.

Then by shear accident I was given a set of factory 16' wheels. The Compomotives were boxed up and placed into storage. The factory wheels are in need of a repaint and re finish.

Now I'm in a position where I have to decide what to do as I'm about to lose my storage facility access.

I am leaning towards selling the TS wheels and whilst I know they are rare and have been out of production for many years can the collective "brains trust" here advise what they are worth if to be sold and the current market value on a set of factory 16' wheels as well as I haven't seen a set of either for sale for years?

Thank you,

Grim

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So Grim, are you saying you have a brand new set of Compomotive TS-16 wheels?

3. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Hello Mike,

The inners are used but in excellent condition along with the centre cap pieces. Need to be repainted.

The outers (barrels, with small bolt holes) are new, never used.

Does that make sense?

Grim

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Grim, I was referring to these wheels you speak of,

“Then by shear accident I was given a set of factory 16' wheels. The Compomotives were boxed up and placed into storage. The factory wheels are in need of a repaint and re finish.”

5. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    I believe Grim is saying he has a set of used 16" Compomotives with new barrels that have been in storage and is looking for a value if for sale. He also has an original set of 16" factory Ferrari wheels and is looking for a value on those as well. Grim am I correct in my statement? Thats how I read it. Either way, both sets of wheel are desirable and will not be on the market very long if for sale.

6. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Thank you Andrew, you are spot on Sir!

Maybe I wasn't making sense so i'll try again?

. One set of wheels will be kept and will go on the car after they are painted and refinished.

I haven't decided which set to be honest, which is why I'm asking what a fair sale price on either set would be?

This will be helpful in deciding which set to keep and what to sell. Factory 16' wheels do come up for sale from time to time but haven't seen any in quite a while?

The TS Compomotives are probably even rarer and I don't recall a set coming up for sale for many, many years?

What would be more desirable and add to the cars value is what I'm trying to establish?

Hope I'm making sense now?

Grim

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    If your car is original and in concours condition, keep the originals

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'd offer them for sale via an auction.

Let the market decide what they are worth. Plus, you won't leave any money on the table. :)

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I wouldn't put them up for sale via an auction without a suitable reserve on them, and to set a suitable reserve, you need to know roughly what the market value is for the wheels.

The last thing the OP wants to happen is that they put $1500~$2000 worth of wheels up for sale, that sell for $750.

It's all very well saying: "Let the market decide what they are worth", but an auction is only one part of a massive market, and all too often with auctions, people want to pay as little as possible, in order to get a bargain (quite often in the hope of then putting the item back up for sale for more money!)

10. MonsterCro

MonsterCro Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Grim

I have sent you a PM

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Oh, I would never do it without a reserve. :)

First though I'd do an open for sale thread here and say the go to the highest bidder. I know the 17's go for crazy money so I'm sure the 16's will fetch a pretty penny as well.

Rim halves can be bought easily enough. I ordered them to go with my NOS centers.