computer printer question | FerrariChat

computer printer question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Sledge4.2, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #1 Sledge4.2, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a diagnostic console for my 91 Lamborghini Diablo that reads the engine computers for basic functions.

It has a print function, and a 25 pin female output.

Given this was made in 1991, what sort of printer would work? If I buy a 25 pin to USB can I use my laserjet, or do I need to buy an old-school dot matrix printer.

Of course there are no instructions for the console.

Thank you,

Geno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds like a fun project. Maybe print to pdf on your laptop?

Or yeah, if you have to, find an older printer at a pawn shop or other second hand store.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    DOT Matrix!

Actually, I have no clue but that would be awesome.

4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    My guess is that you have a 25 pin Parallel Printer Port, so the easier route is probably to find an old school printer with a Parallel port. I'm not sure a PP <-> USB cable would work, but I haven't tried.

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    1991, when Windows 3.0, Amiga and early Macintosh were king. This definitely sounds like fun. Old school LPT(DB25) tech for today's printer world.

What's not known about this diagnostic tool is if the parallel printer port transmits raw ASCII data to the printer or a compatible DOS character format. That will determine everything. The USB cable cable I do not see working, printers do not translate data that you throw at them, printers expect the correct installation drivers to talk to them.

The challenge I see is the type of dot matrix printer. Though they are still being manufactured today, they are updated for today's tech and some boast support for the ancient language of DOS.

(This is similar to the McLaren problem of old school Toshiba laptops that utilize McLaren diagnostic/tuning software with first generation PCMCIA card interface that plugs into the car. The computers are obsolete and difficult to find)

6. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    a lot of the older dot matrix prints have 9 pin connections. There are 25 to 9 pin cables and adopters, I wonder if that route would work?

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The fact being a Lamborghini electronic device, probably not :D :D That's like saying, Let's drop a Veneno intake plenum on a Countach! right

9-pin(Serial Port) printers were not all that common. Mostly retail point-of-sale printers or barcode printers, not your typical 'tractor fed' computer printer paper type.
    If the Lamborghini device has a 25-pin d-sub connector, it's best to match it with a 25-pin printer connector.

8. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    That would be correct. Your best bet would be to find a printer that runs on a parallel port. I had a laser printer in the early 90s that did, and I ran it for over 15 years, so should be easy to find one. The main issue will be that you need a device that is compatible with the computer, which may have some built in device drivers. Many printers can use a generic one. Can you see anything in menus?

A USB converter is highly unlikely to work with this. It's not a simple pin conversion - there is a micro controller in the converter cable and it does the conversion, but the driver has to work. I wouldn't even try. It's been a lot of years, but I was part of the team in the mid 90s that developed USB and can say this fairly confidently.

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would think raw data, probably ASCII like you suggest.

Also, it seems that this unit is similar to a HMI that's used in industrial control systems.

Anyway, an old printer is best. Or maybe a used one of these.

PLUS4 - Panel printers - Self-service / Industrial - Custom Spa

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  11. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I saw that a while back, looks cool, but don't want to spend $500.

I found an OKI printer on craiglist for $30, and will buy a serial cable for $5 and see if that works.

12. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    By convention, a female DB25 port on the back of the computer signified a parallel interface. A male DB25 port signified serial (with only a handful of pins actually wired up).

Who knows if Olivetti or whomever made this thing followed that convention, but if they did, you have a parallel port. In which case the used serial printer isn't going to work.

The good news is that parallel (LPT) ports were phased out much later and compatibility is better. You should be able to find a reasonably modern Brother laser, for example, with a parallel interface. I just sold one for $50.

13. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    really helpful, thank you very much Thomas.